Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Engagement Photographer

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Engagement Photographer
November 19, 2022 11:50PM
Hi I am looking to pop the big question around New Years and looking for someone to take a few pictures of the proposal. Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget so looking for suggestions. Glacier Point looks great but open to suggestions as well. Thank you in advance for your help!!
November 20, 2022 09:41AM
Glacier Point will be closed around New Years this year, unless you (and your photographer) are willing to hike to it from the valley. Even then, a large snowstorm could close the trail to Glacier Point at any time.

Your best bets in Yosemite around New Years would be somewhere in the valley. Also, depending on group size and equipment (lights, reflectors, assistants, etc.), your photographer may require a commercial use permit.
November 20, 2022 11:44AM
If you're willing to wait a bit after New Years, when the park empties out a bit, you could try the parking lot at the end of Wawona tunnel - if you go late in the day off season it probably won't be crowded. Advantage is photographer can park and set up right there. Similar thing for the "valley view" pullout on northside drive.
November 21, 2022 05:41AM
The chapel in Yosemite Valley would be a good spot. I agree with the others that Glacier Point would be difficult, if not impossible.
November 21, 2022 11:37AM
According to the "current conditions" page, the Four Mile Trail (from the valley to Glacier Point) is currently closed from Union Point. It may open again but as BasilBob noted, it's likely to be closed around January 1.

(Theoretically you could cross-country ski or snowshoe out to Glacier Point, but it's over 11 miles in each direction, so you'd have to pay a photographer at least a full day's pay to get out there before you to set up...)

Seems like you'd want any spot where photographers routinely set up, so as not to ruin the element of surprise. So in addition to the places already mentioned, the path to and from lower Yosemite falls could work. So could Sentinel bridge, which has a good view of the falls. Or the Ahwahnee picnic area, which has a good view of Half Dome (you can see the view on the webcams page). If the Cathedral Beach picnic area is open in the winter, it's directly opposite El Capitan and I doubt it sees many visitors at that time of year.
November 22, 2022 07:50AM
No thought on place for photographs, but how exciting. Early congratulations!

This person proposed on Glacier Point (which is not practical in the winter), but it's one of my favorite Yosemite write-ups.
https://yosemitefun.com/yosemite_national_park_garrett.htm

I agree with the suggestion of where photographers regularly set up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login