Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Crescent (21% of Full)

Advanced

Help wanted with trip planning. 120/140 and midpoint?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Help wanted with trip planning. 120/140 and midpoint?
April 14, 2023 05:41PM
I am taking a group of folks to Yosemite next month; 50 to 85 years old (a young group ;-) ) Most have never been there. It's our friends group and they have always heard me talk about it and I got them all to book rooms at the Lodge last year for this year. Well, the trip is coming up so I need to plan it now.

Question (1)
120 and 140 take the same amount of time for us. I thought it would be good to go on one and come back on the other. Which way would you go? Go on 140 and return on 120, to avoid driving on the cliff side of Big Oak flat road, plus it's an easier drive?

Question (2)
Somewhat interlinked with Question 1. We are in Yosemite Sunday and Monday nights. Half the group wants to leave on Saturday and make it a three day vacation (I am leaving on Sunday) and they are asking me what's a good town/location to stay in the middle?

I was thinking Sonora (stay at the Best Western), but somehow every time I have gone out for dinner in Sonora it has not been good. But there must be some good restaurant in Sonora. I just haven't found it.
Murphy's is another option but even more out of the way. But Murphy's is cute.
Mariposa is good though a Saturday night in May in Mariposa results in pricier than average hotel costs. Mariposa has a nice restaurant that I know and have had good luck with multiple times.
Oakdale has cheap hotels. But what do you do there? Drive to Knights Ferry and check out the bridge? eat at the restaurant on the river? then backtrack to Oakdale for the night?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Re: Help wanted with trip planning. 120/140 and midpoint?
April 14, 2023 10:35PM
There are no great restaurants in Sonora, but here are a couple that are decent: The Armory is nice, particularly if you can sit out on the terraces in good weather. Diamondback has a good hamburger. Independent Wine Shop is quite good, but not open many days.

I like the drive down from Big Oak Flat into the Valley. I prefer it over the route in from Mariposa.

Don't forget to stop at Garcia's east of Manteca for great home cooked Mexican food at silly cheap prices

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
can't comment on sonora, but I'm with balzaccom re entering via 120 - that curve on bofr when you first see half dome takes my breath away every time.
Re: Help wanted with trip planning. 120/140 and midpoint?
June 26, 2023 09:52AM
Planning a trip to Yosemite sounds amazing! It's great that you're taking a diverse group to experience it. As for your questions:
Question (1): I'd suggest going on 140 and returning on 120 to avoid the cliff side of Big Oak flat road. It's a slightly easier drive.
Question (2): For a midpoint town, consider Sonora or Murphy's. Sonora has good options, and Murphy's is cute. Mariposa is also great, with nice restaurants.
By the way, I recently came across some info saying that Piscataquog is a home to Granite Square. It's worth checking out if you're in the area. Enjoy your trip, and have a blast exploring Yosemite!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2023 02:38AM by sanderson.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login