Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, 2023 at 10 pm

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, 2023 at 10 pm
April 25, 2023 02:26PM
Will Yosemite Valley flood?
While visiting Yosemite Valley with high water is an amazing experience, Yosemite Valley closes once the Merced River at Pohono Bridge is forecast to exceed 10 feet. At flood stage (10 feet), roads and other critical infrastructure begin flooding, making it unsafe for visitors to be in Yosemite Valley. It is very likely that the Merced River will reach flood stage off and on from late April through early July.

If Yosemite Valley closes, anyone with reservations in Yosemite Valley during the closure for lodging (Curry Village, Housekeeping Camp, Yosemite Valley Lodge, and The Ahwahnee) or camping (Upper Pines, North Pines, Lower Pines, and Camp 4) will receive a full refund.

Update (April 25): Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, at 10 pm, due to a forecast of flooding. This closure will be in place until Wednesday, May 3, but could last longer. Reservations for lodging and campgrounds in eastern Yosemite Valley will automatically be canceled and refunded. Wilderness permits can be rescheduled to alternate trailheads as space allows.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/faq.htm#flood
avatar Re: Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, 2023 at 10 pm
April 26, 2023 01:08PM
Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, at 10 pm, due to a forecast of flooding. This closure will last until Wednesday, May 3—possibly longer. Additional flooding and closures may occur later in May or June. Reservations for lodging and campgrounds in eastern Yosemite Valley will automatically be canceled and refunded. Wilderness permits can be rescheduled to alternate trailheads as space allows.

During this closure, Wawona, Mariposa Grove (via hike only), Crane Flat area, Hetch Hetchy, and western Yosemite Valley will be open. In Yosemite Valley, the closure will be at El Capitan crossover (the road that crosses the Merced River just east of El Capitan). There will be no visitor access (including pedestrian access) east of that road. Parking in western Yosemite Valley and throughout the park will be extremely limited. Do not park off road. No services will be available in western Yosemite Valley.
Re: Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, 2023 at 10 pm
April 27, 2023 01:35PM
I have a campsite reservation that runs from May 3-7. If they exerted the closure to, say, May 4th, will they cancel my entire reservation, or just shorten it to May 4-7? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has insight on this. Thank you.

Photography Website: http://www.brianhawkinsphotography.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Brian_Hawkins
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bmhawkins
they are supposed just to cancel the day they are closed, but they haven't been following previous rules this year, so not sure I would count on it. I would probably wait and see if it opens. Some camp spaces could flood
April 29, 2023 04:40PM
They are reopening the campgrounds on 5/1. You should be good.
April 29, 2023 04:42PM
BrianHawkins
I have a campsite reservation that runs from May 3-7. If they exerted the closure to, say, May 4th, will they cancel my entire reservation, or just shorten it to May 4-7? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has insight on this. Thank you.

They are reopening the campgounds 5/1. You should be good to go.
avatar Re: Most of Yosemite Valley will close starting Friday, April 28, 2023 at 10 pm
April 28, 2023 11:14AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login