Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (71% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Just go - Time to see the Park :-)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Just go - Time to see the Park :-)
May 19, 2023 07:07AM
Was fortunate to be in Yosemite Valley two weeks in a row (a day or two each time). Came back from the last trip this Tuesday. The park is amazing. I have been going to Yosemite for many years, and have seen many beautiful Mays but this year is something different. Every waterfall that's on a map is flowing. So many waterfalls where I didn't even realize there was a waterfall.

That little bit of water you pass through between the top of Nevada falls and the return path on the JMT is now a mini waterfall and a rushing creek to walk through. So much fun! The boring JMT return path has become much more interesting thanks to sections of snow and water.

Right now the dogwoods are in full bloom, which just adds to the beauty.

The path behind the lodge to the swinging bridge on the other side just goes into the water ...

And of course 120 is closed, so for us bay area folks, you have to take 140, but then you get to drive by the roaring Merced.

If your life schedule allows, go see it.

Can't wait to see the Tuolumne.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2023 07:09AM by recycling1991.
Re: Just go - Time to see the Park :-)
May 19, 2023 08:02AM
This makes me sad as we have a booking at the Lodge for the first week of June but worried it could be canceled at any time (worst case, mid-trip) due to the forecasted high flood risk in late May. If I didn’t have young kids, I would take the chance but alas I need to cancel for a lower risk destination. If anyone wants a bunk bed unit at the Lodge in early June, it will be available soon.
May 19, 2023 04:35PM
I would not cancel it. I was worried our trip would get canceled before or midway (I was taking a group of 20!) and neither happened. Not saying it may not in your case, but the water has ended up lower than they forecasted. I don't know if it's because the temperatures were lower or the models weren't accurate. who knows. Anyway, even now if you look they seem to have adjusted it down.

If you can, have a back up vacation plan though I realize that may not be an option for everyone.
May 30, 2023 08:08AM
Thank you everyone for the encouragement! We decided to take the advice and keep our trip as planned for next week. We don’t have a backup for lodging but looks like they are trying to avoid shutting down the Valley if possible.
June 04, 2023 04:17PM
Hope you get to go. It's looking good for the next few days.
May 20, 2023 01:12PM
Don't cancel. Go. Make a back up plan in case they cancel your reservation, but plan on going to Yosemite - it's best when there snow is melting and the water is flowing. These flood warnings are overblown anyway, we're never going to see something like 1997 again because they constructed things to make sure it doesn't happen.
avatar Re: Just go - Time to see the Park :-)
May 21, 2023 05:24AM
Just curious, what was constructed to make sure something like '97 doesn't happen again?
May 21, 2023 06:22AM
calberry
Just curious, what was constructed to make sure something like '97 doesn't happen again?

I'm not sure anything was constructed--but certainly things were removed so that there wouldn't be as much damage the next time. Yosemite isn't really about constructing things to control Mother Nature--it's more about adapting to what Mother Nature delivers, and still allowing people to experience the park.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Just go - Time to see the Park :-)
May 21, 2023 02:11PM
That's my opinion too, which is why I was curious when Geezer mentioned that something was 'constructed'.
May 21, 2023 03:01PM
Didn't they install a bunch of additional "rip-rap" along the banks of the river in a couple of places? I think I remember reading something about that several years ago...but then my memory these days tends to be about as reliable as Aramark's attempts at service. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2023 03:02PM by DavidK42.
May 31, 2023 12:54PM
The rip rap is being installed to control the erosion of river banks, especially in areas near the bridges. They will also provide habitat for fish and other creatures. They won't help during high flood conditions.
June 04, 2023 04:21PM
I took a bus tour when I was there (the tram tour became a bus tour to our disappointment) since I had a number of elderly folks with me. The driver joked about how for years officials worked on the Merced Wild and Scenic River plan on paper, and then how it was implemented in hours in January 1997.
May 31, 2023 12:52PM
Nothing was constructed to prevent flooding. What they have been doing is construction rip-rap along the rivers to prevent erosion of the river banks which is partially due to how the bridges affect the hydrology of the area. They will not stop flooding in times of high water volume.
May 31, 2023 12:49PM
I would not cancel. We were there the week of May 14th when they were talking about cancelling campground reservations and the water never reached the expected highs. Our friends were camping in Upper Pines and when we went and visited them, only about a fourth of the campsites were being used. We asked the ranger at the kiosk and they said that people were afraid of having their reservations cancelled at the last minute so they either cancelled the reservation themselves or didn't show up.
June 06, 2023 07:58AM
I was planning on going this weekend, the 10-11, but now there's 60% chance of rain and Tstorms. Really don't want to cancel but my companion is concerned about being outside in the rain for 2 days since we're camping. I feel like it'll be one of those very scattered storms with little rain. Any advice?
June 06, 2023 09:04AM
eLeMeNOhPee
I was planning on going this weekend, the 10-11, but now there's 60% chance of rain and Tstorms. Really don't want to cancel but my companion is concerned about being outside in the rain for 2 days since we're camping. I feel like it'll be one of those very scattered storms with little rain. Any advice?

I would go and then if it's miserable, come home early. This year is so unique that if you have the reservation and time to go, I say go.

One year we were camping in Tuolumne meadows and it rained and we were unprepared and everything got soaked and muddy. Luckily it was our last day so we just packed up and came home. I would not have wanted to stay with all that mud. I doubt if this will be the scenario this weekend in the valley.
June 06, 2023 03:44PM
recycling1991
eLeMeNOhPee

I would go and then if it's miserable, come home early. This year is so unique that if you have the reservation and time to go, I say go.

One year we were camping in Tuolumne meadows and it rained and we were unprepared and everything got soaked and muddy. Luckily it was our last day so we just packed up and came home. I would not have wanted to stay with all that mud. I doubt if this will be the scenario this weekend in the valley.

Plus we're camping in Oakhurst. So, 90 minute drive extra each day
June 06, 2023 12:44PM
eLeMeNOhPee
We're going Sunday-Tuesday. I saw the same forecast, but any day in Yosemite is good day. Then again, we're not camping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login