Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Hetch Hetchy hiker's tunnel

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hetch Hetchy hiker's tunnel
May 01, 2024 08:41AM
Does anyone know what year that tunnel was carved? Someone on Facebook is telling me it wasn't there 40 years ago. Is that true?
avatar Re: Hetch Hetchy hiker's tunnel
May 01, 2024 10:11AM
hotrod4x5
Does anyone know what year that tunnel was carved? Someone on Facebook is telling me it wasn't there 40 years ago. Is that true?

Not true. I was there 40 years ago and so was the tunnel.
Re: Hetch Hetchy hiker's tunnel
May 01, 2024 10:19AM
Yeah, that's what I figured. People have a tendency to believe their flawed memories more than the truth.
Re: Hetch Hetchy hiker's tunnel
May 02, 2024 07:59AM
hotrod4x5

According to "In Old Hetch Hetchy" by Becky McCall (a wonderful book, by the way, with loads of old photos and speculative drawings...the best visual recreation of the lost valley that I've yet seen), the tunnel was built when the dam was raised in 1935...so the "someone on Facebook" is off by about half a century!

BTW, you can see some of Becky McCall's artwork (I believe that she did her own drawings for the Hetch Hetchy book) can be seen here: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-becky-mccall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2024 08:04AM by DavidK42.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login