Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Rocketlawyer.com

Advanced

What you like?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 01, 2011 08:21AM
Okey, I got zillions of photos... If there is some desire... I'll put more.

I am curious which you like better. No process.. or Auto-process.
For me, I take photos for a number of reasons:
a) relive the trip
b) scope out other areas/features I wanna check out
c) gives me a chance to slow down
d) document area so I can assess situation if/when I want to go back some
e) no fish die in the process
f) it's more or less green

Anyway, here's a few:
SET A: No Processing (me clicky, camera outputty)

Set B: Hit Button Auto-Fixy (or something like that)

Ok, dangit! Now I'm foiled... there is suppose to be a "Add Poll to Topic" button and ask
you which you like better... maybe just reply and say so. tupid compoopers!

Chick-on avec les pieds

(btw I like the second one the best b/c I wanna go sleep on top of that dome... and there's 2 miles b/t the dome in
the foreground and background and you can see Starr King on the upper right side and the dome in
the background you walk kinda right by if you are heading towards Ottoway Lakes and I like domes)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: What you like?
February 01, 2011 09:06AM
I took the liberty of taking your first shot, leveling the colors, a bit of contrast and light-fill, and then some sharpening.

Then I made it a sentient being who is firm in the belief that there is no danger of encountering any wombats while on it.

Oh, the second set of shots is better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 09:07AM by tanngrisnir3.
February 01, 2011 12:58PM
Telephoto shots like your first two generally lack contrast because of lens issues in combination with air quality issues. I find that the "auto levels" in Photoshop and other tools is usually too heavy-handed and makes it look unnatural. What I do in such a situation is duplicate the layer, apply auto colors and auto levels to the duplicated layer, and then adjust the opacity of the duplicated layer until it looks as close as possible to how I remember the actual scene.

I like a blend between the first and second set of shots, a little desaturation of the blue channel, and then a tiny bit of sharpening:

My reasons for taking pictures are very similar to your reasons Chick-on. I primarily use them as a way to document what I did since I know at some point in my life my memories from now will fade, if not disappear. I have a similar list:

1. For my own memory
2. I'm a lousy painter/sketcher so that's not an option
3. Makes me take things slowly.
4. I can have something to show other people so I can share the experience

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 01:52PM by dqniel.
February 01, 2011 03:34PM
Wow Daniel! That's great! I need to learn how to do that. I presume it can be done with GIMP too.

I'm in total agreement with everything you said. Looks too unnatural w/Auto fix imo... yours looks just incredible in my noggin.
(although I do like the No Wombat one smiling smiley (though it should include Marmots too))

I can't remember what I did yesterday... so pictures help me immensely.

Now I'm wondering how much nicer you can make something like this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/HorseRidge#5508622185379345746

Thanks

February 04, 2011 01:06PM
chick-on
Wow Daniel! That's great! I need to learn how to do that. I presume it can be done with GIMP too.

I'm in total agreement with everything you said. Looks too unnatural w/Auto fix imo... yours looks just incredible in my noggin.
(although I do like the No Wombat one smiling smiley (though it should include Marmots too))

I can't remember what I did yesterday... so pictures help me immensely.

Now I'm wondering how much nicer you can make something like this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/HorseRidge#5508622185379345746

Thanks

How's this?

February 02, 2011 04:16PM
Wow. Incredible light in that picture. The composition and lighting is already stunning, and it could easily be a marketable print if a higher quality camera was used to take it (it's only downfall is the smudging of textures and lack of sharpness). Did you take that?
February 02, 2011 10:09PM
dqniel
Wow. Incredible light in that picture. The composition and lighting is already stunning, and it could easily be a marketable print if a higher quality camera was used to take it (it's only downfall is the smudging of textures and lack of sharpness). Did you take that?

Any picture I post I have taken, otherwise it will either be obvious I didn't (like old photos), or I will say who took it.
Yeah, we had some really nice light on that trip. And a gorgeous sunset from Horse Ridge.
Here's Starr King during sunset:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/HorseRidge#5569340965082301362

I tried doing some stuff with gimp and layers like you said... and I'm lost...
I guess I need to get a dummies book on photoshop.

On a related note... it appears people are more interested in Poison Oak.

February 03, 2011 03:20PM
chick-on
dqniel

Any picture I post I have taken, otherwise it will either be obvious I didn't (like old photos), or I will say who took it.
Yeah, we had some really nice light on that trip. And a gorgeous sunset from Horse Ridge.
Here's Starr King during sunset:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/HorseRidge#5569340965082301362

I tried doing some stuff with gimp and layers like you said... and I'm lost...
I guess I need to get a dummies book on photoshop.

On a related note... it appears people are more interested in Poison Oak.

I'm not familiar with GIMP. I've downloaded it in the past but never installed it. I'll give it a try and see how the layers work in it.
February 03, 2011 09:03AM
Your pic of Horse Ridge was worth the wait (to load. Told ya my dial up was slow and it doesn't even bring up photos in good quality due to "acceleration." What acceleration?)

My advice is don't use photo shop. I tweaked your photo with a simple program from an old printer. It just slightly adjusted contrast and exposure, with a tiny bit of sharpening. It is basically the same photo, but just a bit better...no messing with the original color. You got the shot...don't sway too far from the original.

Try the simple editing with your Picasa program just for the heck of it.

P.S. Another reason to take photos...comparing to seasons or years past.
February 04, 2011 03:22PM
Looks very similar to the one I came up with:

February 06, 2011 10:03PM
In reply to both you guys... really nice. Love it.

Need to figure out how to do this myself....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login