Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Weekend snow and storm in Yosemite (big pics)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Weekend snow and storm in Yosemite (big pics)
February 28, 2011 12:53PM
Went to Yosemite this weekend because my g/f was a finalist at an annual photographic contest they have there, and was pretty excited about the potential massive snow dump that was supposed to start the day before we left and continued on until Sunday, when we'd depart.

It snowed before we got there and intermittently while we were there, but nothing huge. The existing snow cover was enough, and there was a LOT of clearing/occluding light play all over the valley to make things very interesting. I took a LOT of duplicates in B&W w/a red 29 filter and then in color, and can't decide which ones I prefer. Almost everything was shot w/a circular polarizer, PP in Photoscape in .jpg, and no color mods anywhere.

It was likely under 30 degrees the whole time until Sunday, and chains were required.

Two of the three Cathedral Rocks w/the Cathedral Spires, early Sat morning.

El Cap, Sat morning. Should have moved out of the way of the branches, but I've shot this place so often I'm afraid to say now that I didn't care.

Another warhorse, Tunnel View, but this time in B&W. Quite pleased w/the results, and the weather got MUCH worse when we returned later that day.

Sun playing off of the west side of the Cathedral Rocks, Bridalveil Falls at the lower left.

El Cap from the road, just after the Wawona/Bridalveil Falls turnoff.

Famous rock climbing spire, "The Rostrum", as the afternoon storm approaches.

Cascade Creek

Royal Arches as afternoon fog hides North Dome.

One of the slopes that ascend to Glacier Point, near the 4 Mile Trail

Light playing off North Wall, juuuuuust west of Royal Arches.

El Cap, peaking through the late afternoon mist, taken from South Side Road a short ways past the entrance to Cathedral Beach.

avatar Re: Weekend snow and storm in Yosemite (big pics)
February 28, 2011 03:43PM
I like them all, but the 5th one is especially good to me. The contrast of El Cap being so much brighter than the sky I think is what draws me to it. Who needs a DSLR for landscapes? smiling smiley

What circular polarizer and red filter do you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 03:44PM by dqniel.
Re: Weekend snow and storm in Yosemite (big pics)
February 28, 2011 05:19PM
dqniel
I like them all, but the 5th one is especially good to me. The contrast of El Cap being so much brighter than the sky I think is what draws me to it. Who needs a DSLR for landscapes? smiling smiley

What circular polarizer and red filter do you use?

Thanks!

Well, in all honesty, I'm seriously looking at a Canon 7d since the g/f has a 5d and lots of lenses that I could use. I find myself really wanting a bigger sensor and more reach.

I have a B&W circ-polarizer and the red is a Tiffen 29.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login