All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

LX5 WA challenge at Owens Lake, Mono Lake and the Alabama Hills.
January 25, 2011 12:26PM
So I got another WA adapter for the LX5, the LWA52, as the first one had some sort of defect on the outer coating, and have the following observations.

A. It's a high quality build, but it's a nuclear dust magnet.
B. There is distinct fisheyeing, so to speak, if one shoots at odd angles, but I don't have the computer/software mix (yet) to correct for lens distortion.
C. I don't like the fact that if one chooses the WA setting in-camera, it disables any and all zoom. You're stuck at 18mm which, if you're far away from your subject, w/a little sensor, makes things difficult.
D. No exterior threads means no polarizer. Grrrrr.......
E. It can create odd pink and green polygonic lens flares. There ARE non-threaded lens hoods available, but I haven't got one yet.

I decided to challenge myself on last weekend's trip to keep the WA on the entire time, come what may, and simply shoot around any difficulties or problems that might present. The camera was usually set to 'Dynamic', everything was shot in manual, and all photos here are PP'd jpegs, as my current (soon to be replaced) computer cannot easily handle LR, PS or DxO. All NR in camera was turned down to -2. The only thing I did to any of these was contrast adjustment, sharpening at times and a touch of backlight when it made sense.

I also shot all the daytime shots using the EVF available for the LX5, which is GREAT for bright light/wide open spaces, but it's small enough where one doesn't always see the lens flare until after having shot. It's a super framing tool, but it's not the be-all end-all answer to occluded LCD screens.

This is right next to a rather disgusting natural spring on the south end of the Owens Lake called "Dirty Socks". I include it only to show the flaring on the lens.

The best luck I've ever had at Owens Lake: beautiful clouds, the beginning of a Sierra Wave formation (the blacker clouds) AND an opportune alkaline dust storm. This is looking due east from a derelict PPG chemical plant on the west shore.

Mono Lake, from the southern shore. About 45 minutes from sundown, and maybe 30 minutes afterward. The colors were as they appear in the pics. It changes FAST there. For those who've been to the tufa reserve there, we walked in and I decided to hike west to get to to a grouping of tufas that I've seen for many years, but never bothered to walk out to. Took about 10 minutes, and it was WET from melted snow. It's the westernmost of the three major ones at the reserve.

I like this one because the tufas on the left are actually like hollow pipes, and the last light is caught within them.

During the short-lived Band of Venus period

Yeah, I know, if that tufa had a name....

A short dawn spent at Convict Lake, where no clouds emerged, so we left quickly. The reflection of the moon in the water was nice luck, though, since that part of the lake hadn't frozen over yet.

Finally, the Alabama Hills, where I need to spend a LOT more time, and will do so shortly with and w/out the WA.

Mobius Arch. I know, I know, it's a warhorse like the GG Bridge, so I decided to shoot it from a different angle, w/out Mt. Whitney in the background.

All in all, a useful tool, but a handicap if one had to use it all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 06:09AM by tanngrisnir3.
avatar Re: LX5 WA challenge at Owens Lake, Mono Lake and the Alabama Hills.
January 25, 2011 02:35PM
tanngrisnir3
This is right next to a rather disgusting natural spring on the south end of the Owens Lake called "Dirty Socks".

Have you been in it? That pipe in the center is kind of fun.
Re: LX5 WA challenge at Owens Lake, Mono Lake and the Alabama Hills.
January 25, 2011 07:16PM
eeek
tanngrisnir3
This is right next to a rather disgusting natural spring on the south end of the Owens Lake called "Dirty Socks".

Have you been in it? That pipe in the center is kind of fun.

It's one of the more putrid springs I've ever been around, and there was some old guy there (disturbed by us, methinks) SWIMMING LAPS.

It had more algae than I've ever seen in it before.

I'm never going in that crap, bro.
January 25, 2011 06:28PM
Some stunning shots. Have you tried PTLens? It's only $25 and I haven't found anything better for automatic distortion correction. I see the LX3 listed on the profiles page along with the WA adapter and also the LX5 but without the WA adapter. I would assume that they'd have the combination of the LX5 and WA adapter available for correction, so it's worth emailing them if you want to make sure before trying/purchasing PTLens.

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/
January 25, 2011 07:46PM
dqniel
Some stunning shots. Have you tried PTLens? It's only $25 and I haven't found anything better for automatic distortion correction. I see the LX3 listed on the profiles page along with the WA adapter and also the LX5 but without the WA adapter. I would assume that they'd have the combination of the LX5 and WA adapter available for correction, so it's worth emailing them if you want to make sure before trying/purchasing PTLens.

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Actually, they're attributing the adapters for the LX3 AND the LX5 both to the LX3 only, so I'm writing them an email (the Panasonic DMW-LWA52 0.75x Converter is the LX5's).

Downloading it now for the 10 shot freebie.
January 25, 2011 09:05PM
tanngrisnir3

Actually, they're attributing the adapters for the LX3 AND the LX5 both to the LX3 only, so I'm writing them an email (the Panasonic DMW-LWA52 0.75x Converter is the LX5's).

That's what I thought after reading one of your previous posts in another thread, so I figured it was a goof and they just listed the adapter in the wrong place. Hopefully it works for you, because it has worked extremely well for me on my LX3 without the adapter. Worked really well on the Sony A100, A200, and A700 with a Tamron 17-50mm lens as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 09:07PM by dqniel.
January 25, 2011 07:41PM
Isn't it man-made as well?
January 25, 2011 07:47PM
dqniel

Natural spring capped off, methinks.

There's even concrete steps, like at a pool, leading down into the black murk.

Eeech.
January 27, 2011 08:01AM
dqniel
Owens lake? Nahh, unless you mean the dry lake bed being man made and the subsequent partial flooding that the DWP is required to do to keep them dust storms at bay, ya that part is man made.
January 27, 2011 08:02AM
Nice shots. Use your hand, a hat or whatever you can to shade the front element of your lens to prevent flare.
January 27, 2011 04:18PM
hotrod4x5
dqniel
Owens lake? Nahh, unless you mean the dry lake bed being man made and the subsequent partial flooding that the DWP is required to do to keep them dust storms at bay, ya that part is man made.

No, the "Dirty Socks" spring. I looked it up and found out it is. Natural spring, but the lake/pond was man-made.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login