Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Question about Printers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 26, 2011 03:11PM
I'm assuming you fantastic photogs have some good advice on buying a photo-friendly printer.

I'm kinda thinking I would like a printer that I can use to print images to use for my etsy.com business, making custom photo magnets and greeting cards. DPI is important. When I make a magnet with the glass beads, the image underneath is magnified, which makes it look lovely IMO, but also highlights any graininess. When I use magazine images, I have to be careful about moire patterns. The few printed photos I've made using a friend's color printer, the dots are too pronounced to make a good magnet.

What kind of printer do you use? Price is a concern, but I'm capable of using ebay and finding a deal.
avatar Re: Question about Printers
May 26, 2011 03:40PM
I've found it to be cheaper to send the files to Costco for printing.
May 26, 2011 03:47PM
That's a thought. I may give that a try for non-custom items and see how it works.
May 29, 2011 09:00PM
Costco is a great place for prints at a low price. If you aren't happy with color they'll reprint anything with a smile.
May 31, 2011 08:44PM
Costco/Walmart has pretty good printing overall. Fantastic for the price.
May 31, 2011 09:05PM
dqniel
Costco/Walmart has pretty good printing overall. Fantastic for the price.

I wouldn't step foot in a Walmart if you paid me.
Costco, on the other hand, is renowned for treating their employees like human beings.
June 01, 2011 08:12AM
Ha. My thoughts exactly. Plus, there's no Walmart nearby. I'd have to drive past Costco to get there.

Thanks all. smiling smiley
June 01, 2011 01:03PM
I use an Epson Stylus Photo R320. I've had it for several years and I'm quite happy with the prints it turns out.
June 01, 2011 01:17PM
Louis
I use an Epson Stylus Photo R320. I've had it for several years and I'm quite happy with the prints it turns out.

Have you had to replace the waste ink pads yet?
June 01, 2011 01:45PM
eeek
Louis

No. I didn't even know they existed but since you brought them up I'll probably have to soon. smiling smiley
June 01, 2011 03:20PM
Louis
eeek
Louis

No. I didn't even know they existed but since you brought them up I'll probably have to soon. smiling smiley

The printer will just stop working when it decides you need to change the pads. You have to take it into the shop to have the work done and the counter reset.
June 01, 2011 03:23PM
eeek
Louis
eeek
Louis

The printer will just stop working when it decides you need to change the pads. You have to take it into the shop to have the work done and the counter reset.

Any ides on how to reset the thing after its been off for a few weeks so the cartridges don't show up as empty??

Old Dude
June 01, 2011 03:50PM
mrcondron
eeek
Louis
eeek
Louis

Any ides on how to reset the thing after its been off for a few weeks so the cartridges don't show up as empty??

I've never had that happen but if I don't use it for a week or two I always have to run the nozzle cleaning routine a couple of times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login