Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: How much longer can photographic film hold on?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar How much longer can photographic film hold on?
June 01, 2011 08:35AM
ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- At Image City Photography Gallery, Gary Thompson delights in pointing out qualities of light, contrast and clarity in one of his best-selling prints - a winter-sunset view of Yosemite National Park's El Capitan peak shot with a hefty Pentax film camera he bought in 1999 for $1,700.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/05/31/2409032/how-much-longer-can-photographic.html

I have four film cameras I stopped using mainly because it's $9 per roll to develop (I've taken close to 6,000 photos since Christmas). I have five digital cameras of which three I use regularly and one (my dslr) I use 95 percent of the time.Kind of weird to now think of film cameras as a "luxury" relatively speaking, my developing can and enlarger are going to continue to gather dust for the foreseeable future, I found 8.5x11 digital prints hanging on the wall just as fine as any film prints.
avatar Re: How much longer can photographic film hold on?
June 01, 2011 09:10AM
The process is still unique and the results are sometimes quite different, so that will keep it alive as a niche. However, for most practical uses film is pretty much dead. Hopefully people can start looking it as two different markets rather than competing markets. There's a place for both technologies, especially when things such as slide film are considered.
June 01, 2011 10:40AM
I'm waiting for the day when I can get a digital back for my 4x5 field camera that gives me 100megapixels and costs $500. smiling smiley
June 01, 2011 11:24AM
hotrod4x5
I'm waiting for the day when I can get a digital back for my 4x5 field camera that gives me 100megapixels and costs $500. smiling smiley

As am I!
June 01, 2011 12:19PM
When I first began working for a color lab in Dallas the E-4 process was still used for Ektachrome. That was a few years back. smiling smiley
June 01, 2011 12:21PM
Louis
When I first began working for a color lab in Dallas the E-4 process was still used for Ektachrome. That was a few years back. smiling smiley

I remember processing E-4 at home. Had to hold it up to a bright light at one point in the process.
June 01, 2011 12:48PM
eeek
Louis

I remember processing E-4 at home. Had to hold it up to a bright light at one point in the process.

The first roll of Ektachrome I processed at home was shot on a Hasselblad 500C and I remember I used a photoflood for reversal exposure. I'm not certain but I think the process at that time was E-3, which had some really nasty chemicals in it. Considering all the years I worked with various photographic chemistry I'm surprised my skin didn't fall off.
June 01, 2011 01:16PM
Louis
eeek
Louis

The first roll of Ektachrome I processed at home was shot on a Hasselblad 500C and I remember I used a photoflood for reversal exposure. I'm not certain but I think the process at that time was E-3, which had some really nasty chemicals in it. Considering all the years I worked with various photographic chemistry I'm surprised my skin didn't fall off.

You're right, it was E-3 I was doing at the time. E-4 was just E-3 with a chemical reversal exposed IIRC.
June 01, 2011 01:48PM
eeek
Louis
eeek
Louis

You're right, it was E-3 I was doing at the time. E-4 was just E-3 with a chemical reversal exposed IIRC.

Dye stability wasn't very good in those days.
June 01, 2011 02:03PM
Rick, we're really showing our age in this discussion. smiling smiley
June 01, 2011 03:21PM
Louis
Rick, we're really showing our age in this discussion. smiling smiley

True, but I'm still younger than the OD.
June 01, 2011 08:48PM
I seem to recall E6 as the process for slide film. What's E4?
June 01, 2011 09:25PM
hotrod4x5
I seem to recall E6 as the process for slide film. What's E4?

E3 and E4 were the previous slide film processes. They were replaced by E6 sometime around 1976.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-4_process
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login