Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: One east side sunset, several different views

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

One east side sunset, several different views
July 08, 2011 11:53AM
On July 4th, I was driving down the 395 w/my g/f, much later than usual, and as we were approaching Independence, CA, the clouds were indicating it would be a mutha of a sunset. We decided to pull in to the Alabama Hills by Lone Pine if the color and clouds held by the time we got to Lone Pine. Had a very good steak sandwich at Whoa Nellie, btw, but the meat was so large there was no way to close it, so it was open-faced, fork-and-knife munchery. G/f had the famous fish tacos, but she didn't like them nearly as much as their lobster taquitos.

None of these have had color/saturation mods, only slight contrast and white balance tweaks.

I have stopped numerous times on Black Rock Springs Rd., since it offers really nice, wide-open views of the eastern escarpment and the valley, and can often include shifting light/weather system changes with a grander, more cinematic perspective than other areas where one can just pull off the 395.

The only problem is that often its hazy from northerlies that blow up dust from the lake bed of Owens Lake, so in between quick rain fronts is the best time to catch decent atmospheric conditions. This is just north of Independence, the first indications we had the the clouds/light/sunset might be good. The mountain most of the light is on is Mt. Williamson.

The first shot taken after we entered the Alabama Hills, taken from the turn-around that people usually use for the hike to Mobius Arch. Sort of a pre-sunset view of the clouds over Mt. Whitney. Whitney is the formation almost in the middle of range.

Relatively same view/clouds, as the light starts to intensify. I didn't want it to be too Maxfield Parrish-y, but it sort of turned out that way.

Color starting to turn, w/Lone Pine Peak to the left and Mt. Whitney to the right with the peach clouds next to it.

Turning around 180 degrees from where I was, looking east towards the Inyo Mountains.

Finally, looking north, with the good luck to have separation between the color layers and clouds, making for a high contrast shot that's not the forte of the small sensor of the LX5, but I tried. The mountain to the left is Mt. Williamson. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this shot, I welcome them.

avatar Re: One east side sunset, several different views
July 08, 2011 01:46PM
I'm sure hoping for some clouds at Bearpaw this time.
July 08, 2011 04:40PM
eeek

Bearpaw as in Bearpaw Meadow in SEKI?

I've always been interested in their single equivalent of Yosemite's HSCs, but the prices are beyond nutty.
July 08, 2011 04:46PM
tanngrisnir3
eeek

Bearpaw as in Bearpaw Meadow in SEKI?

That's the one. The view is great but last time it was completely clear the entire time I was there.

I've always been interested in their single equivalent of Yosemite's HSCs, but the prices are beyond nutty.

That they are.
July 15, 2011 12:39PM
If you hike through at just the right time and look like a sad and starving backpacker trying to get over the GWD they might give you fresh baked brownies. The $$ to stay there must subsidize this wonderful tradition.

I know that calorie bomb got me all the way to Precipice Lake one year before I needed anything else to eat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 12:39PM by calipidder.
August 01, 2011 01:10PM
calipidder
If you hike through at just the right time and look like a sad and starving backpacker trying to get over the GWD they might give you fresh baked brownies.

And they are very good brownies too!
July 13, 2011 09:50PM
Well done. My last visit to Owens Valley gave a cloudless sky sad smiley but will try again in a few days smiling smiley
July 15, 2011 12:28PM
Vince
Well done. My last visit to Owens Valley gave a cloudless sky sad smiley but will try again in a few days smiling smiley

Never give up! We travel there at least once a month, and I lost count of the cloudless skies I've encountered.
August 02, 2011 05:24PM
And here's a little something from last Friday Night I call "Whitney in Hell, sunset"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login