Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Re: Three from last year's first winter snowfall in November

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Three from last year's first winter snowfall in November
October 07, 2011 12:53PM
After a computer crash a few months ago, I thought I'd lost every single pic I had up back to last January. Turns out, it wasn't the case. So I check some old RW2 files I had, and found three I thought worth processing. Sure hope I get as luck this year and can be there the day after the first big snow storm. I'm going to redo the first one with some luminosity mask or something because the left side is too dark.

Valley View with Bridalveil Falls, Late Afternoon, Nov 2010 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Three Trees #2, Merced River, Yosemite Valley by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Valley View w-Bridalveil near Noon, Nov 2010 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr
avatar Re: Three from last year's first winter snowfall in November
October 08, 2011 01:33PM
Beautiful photographs. Thanks for sharing.

(And I'm happy for you that these photos weren't lost when your computer had crashed.)
October 08, 2011 02:35PM
Beautiful as always. I actually like the darkness on the left side of your first photo. It makes the gentle gradients of the fog, clouds, sky, and cliff walls stand out even more. I think it helps the mood of the photograph.

What is your workflow for processing your LX5 images? I have an LX3 and really enjoy the final look your images end up with. They seem very neutral, but still have depth. I feel as though my LX3 images frequently come out over-processed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 02:38PM by dqniel.
October 11, 2011 09:18AM
dqniel
Beautiful as always. I actually like the darkness on the left side of your first photo. It makes the gentle gradients of the fog, clouds, sky, and cliff walls stand out even more. I think it helps the mood of the photograph.

What is your workflow for processing your LX5 images? I have an LX3 and really enjoy the final look your images end up with. They seem very neutral, but still have depth. I feel as though my LX3 images frequently come out over-processed.

Man, it THAT an open ended question!

I always start in LR, and (almost) never go further into PhotoShop since it's soooo much more complex and a PITA to use.

My 'flow' is usuallyL

White balance fiddling
Exposure adjustments
any filter work
Tone curve
then either split toning (if it's needed or appropriate) then finally any detail/sharpening work.
Lastly, if ever, color work, but I almost never change any color levels w/the possible exception of tiny luminance adjustments.

My g/f almost always STARTS with sharpening, but I haven't found any particular advantage to that.
October 11, 2011 03:44PM
I very, very rarely sharpen. I'll take a teeny bit blurry over the result sharpening frequently gives me. I pretty much only sharpen when I resize for web, in which case I do like 40-50 @ 0.3 pixels. I should just take a digital photo editing class at school or something. I've got to be doing something wrong at some point. Or just missing a step. Thanks for your workflow
October 11, 2011 03:48PM
dqniel
I very, very rarely sharpen. I'll take a teeny bit blurry over the result sharpening frequently gives me. I pretty much only sharpen when I resize for web, in which case I do like 40-50 @ 0.3 pixels. I should just take a digital photo editing class at school or something. I've got to be doing something wrong at some point. Or just missing a step. Thanks for your workflow

Well, I learned LR by just doing it, and already being familiar with PS from having taken a class on it (at Beverly Hills HS, no less). PS is great, but time-consuming, and DEEEEEEEEP.

LR also has a LOT of great tutorials for it for free on the web at Lynda.com and YouTube.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login