Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite to open 24 new cabins in May

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite to open 24 new cabins in May
April 25, 2009 07:07PM
Well, not quite. The cabins are at Evergreen Lodge which is outside the park near Hetch Hetchy. The Los Angeles Times should have used a better headline:

New cabins soon will be available for visitors to Yosemite National Park at the 1920s-era Evergreen Lodge. The lodge is on the west side of the park near Hetch Hetchy Valley, an area that is less well-known than other parts of Yosemite. The lodge offers numerous recreation programs, including day trips for hikers and bikers to sites such as Wapama Falls and North Dome.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-consumerbriefs26-2009apr26,0,59957.story
Re: Yosemite to open 24 new cabins in May
April 25, 2009 08:55PM
Well, 24 cabins should take care of the shortage; should be easy to get summer reservations now...
8^)

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
avatar Re: Yosemite to open 24 new cabins in May
April 26, 2009 10:45AM
Sierrafan
Well, 24 cabins should take care of the shortage; should be easy to get summer reservations now...
8^)

It's not as if there hasn't been nearby lodging outside of Yosemite Valley or Tioga Road. There's a host of rental properties and bed & breakfasts at Yosemite West. You can even rent in Foresta.
April 26, 2009 10:08PM
y_p_w
Sierrafan
8^)

It's not as if there hasn't been nearby lodging outside of Yosemite Valley or Tioga Road. There's a host of rental properties and bed & breakfasts at Yosemite West. You can even rent in Foresta.

The Times article was really just based on a press release from Evergreen Lodge. They've spent some money remodeling and want the world to know. It's no big deal.
April 27, 2009 12:55PM
eeek
y_p_w
Sierrafan
8^)

The Times article was really just based on a press release from Evergreen Lodge. They've spent some money remodeling and want the world to know. It's no big deal.

I think I've seen this lodge before - back in 2005 when I went to Hetch Hetchy. There's a small community at the end of Evergreen Road (Mather) and I think this is where the lodge is located. It didn't seem all that busy, although it was December when I'd think there would be fewer tourists.
April 27, 2009 01:03PM
y_p_w
I think I've seen this lodge before - back in 2005 when I went to Hetch Hetchy. There's a small community at the end of Evergreen Road (Mather) and I think this is where the lodge is located. It didn't seem all that busy, although it was December when I'd think there would be fewer tourists.

There's not much in Mather other than the lodge and SF's summer camp. In December it'd be pretty much a ghost town I suspect.
April 28, 2009 07:54AM
Ok, this is interesting. Been thru there about 4 or 5 times since they started construction
last year. Every time the comment was "wha!?" Just thought that an individual hit the
jackpot... turns out it's the park!
If you been thru this area during Memorial Day you'll know that it is just a huge zoo
with the "Strawberry Festival". Wonder what the cabins are going to do to the Festival.
Wonder if it will be no more. My guess is it won't... it'll still go on... it's hugely popular.

The irritation we have gotten on many years going thru Mather area on Memorial Day
is that the road is a public road but the schmos assume everyone going thru there
is going to the festival. They stop every car going thru and try giving you directions.

And I assumed the cabins were in the valley... and didn't read this post.
April 28, 2009 08:00AM
One more thing:

"The new cabins are set in an old-growth forest"

I'm no arborist... but to me... that is highly debatable...
I guess they decided that there is no way they are letting a fire get close to the swanky new
cabins (they do look great from the outside)... so they really cleared out the woods
in the area leading up to the lodge on the east.

So... I guess it's old growth if you've left a few old trees hanging around...

(reminds me of a hike on the Lost Coast Trail.. to someold Redwoods "Groves"winking smiley
(but I digress...)
April 28, 2009 08:04AM
Argh... me again... just read the whole thread!

Guess we were right about someone winning the jackpot.

Kinda like my father-in-law wanting to stay in Manteca cause
there is a Yosemite Ave. Park must be just down the block.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login