Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Memories of treks to Yosemite high camps

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Memories of treks to Yosemite high camps
May 01, 2009 01:29PM
In every backpacker's daydream is a camp already set up at the end of the trail. It has hot showers and dinner on the stove, a bed in a tent and breakfast the next morning. The mirage exists. It is called the Yosemite High Sierra Camp Loop.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/01/CMH216M2HH.DTL
avatar Re: Memories of treks to Yosemite high camps
May 01, 2009 01:35PM
Huh?

I daydream about Loch Tablae. And I couldn't sleep last night thinking about dayhiking Clouds/HD/QD...

Honestly I prefer to stink. And have the solitude. The wife. She wants a shower after a few days....
(let's just say the water boiled over on a trip or two on THAT one)
smiling smiley

But alot of people probably knew I was gonna say this... tongue sticking out smiley
May 01, 2009 03:26PM
I wonder if it's "every backpacker's daydream" to sleep in a tent cabin with a bunch of snoring guys.
May 01, 2009 03:40PM
One of my favorites is when I invited two buddies with no gear on a trip..
Gave them a two person tent to share while I slept a couple hundred feet away.
Next morning find out one guy "slept great!" the other... um... ah... not so much...

Still rib both of them about that one.
"Hey, Kevin... you and Sai wanna go on another trip and share a tent?"
Kevin: "Hello No!"

Good Times... no postcard required
May 01, 2009 03:45PM
bill-e-g
I slept a couple hundred feet away.

Learned from an earlier experience maybe?
May 01, 2009 04:30PM
eeek
bill-e-g
I slept a couple hundred feet away.

Learned from an earlier experience maybe?

Somehow my instructions of "don't bring too much food" got translated into
"please, by all means, bring each one of us a loaf of bread, an entire package of
cookies, and a box or crackers... ah heck, bring an entire years supply of
oatmeal while you're at it."

Hey... at least my Cupcakes made it into one of the 2 bear cans!
May 01, 2009 04:39PM
I had a roomate go on one of my backpacks. It was his first. I still don't know why he thought he should bring four towels for a one night trip.
May 01, 2009 05:32PM
eeek
I wonder if it's "every backpacker's daydream" to sleep in a tent cabin with a bunch of snoring guys.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!no, stop, enough!

(or snoring females for that matter)

(I'm with the Goat on this one...military broke me of the need for a shower every weekwink
May 01, 2009 04:01PM
Carrot at the end of the stick is your car with the iced-down beer in it at the end of your 18-hour dayhike of Mount Whitney.
May 01, 2009 04:03PM
Vince
Carrot at the end of the stick is your car with the iced-down beer in it at the end of your 18-hour dayhike of Mount Whitney.

After that hike one may not even have the energy to open the bottle.
May 01, 2009 04:07PM
eeek
Vince

Wanna bet?
May 01, 2009 04:08PM
Vince
eeek
Vince

Wanna bet?

Give it a try and let us know.
May 01, 2009 04:22PM
eeek
Vince
eeek
Vince

Wanna bet?

Give it a try and let us know.

Been up to the top twice. Yes, I do know.

I also know about picking up a collapsed tent after your long hike, after the wind got done with your tent at Tuttle Creek after you got done with your hike.
May 01, 2009 05:43PM

I also know about picking up a collapsed tent after your long hike, after the wind got done with your tent at Tuttle Creek after you got done with your hike.

thats a whole other thread "Things gone bad at the end of the day"
May 02, 2009 06:03PM
A defense of the HSCs:

The first real backpacking trip on which I took my son (he was 14 years old at the time) was Tuolumne Meadows/Young Lakes/Roosevelt Lake/Upper McCabe Lake/Cold Canyon/TM. As we were approaching Twin Bridges, we came across a husband and wife headed to the Glen Aulin HSC. We stopped to chat with them. The man was in his mid-70s and had a pacemaker; the woman was a few years younger and rather frail. Enough said.

[By the way, on a different, related topic (turn that phrase over a few times), I never bothered expressing an opinion on the subject but I do agree with Dale's sentiments re. the Ahwahnee.]
May 02, 2009 06:13PM
szalkowski
The man was in his mid-70s and had a pacemaker; the woman was a few years younger and rather frail.

No better place to die than the Yosemite backcountry. Seriously.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 02, 2009 06:54PM
Frank Furter
szalkowski
The man was in his mid-70s and had a pacemaker; the woman was a few years younger and rather frail.

Good lead-in to one of my many helicopter in Yosemite pix.

May 02, 2009 07:14PM
Frank Furter
szalkowski

Second choice: Yosemite Valley. See the last paragraph:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_LeConte

Not mentioned: as a sign of respect, his students carried his body back to the Bay Area.

One of the buildings in the Dept. of Physics at Berkeley still bears his name.
May 02, 2009 07:05PM
Len, I agree with what you said about the HSC. Just because I don't want to stay there...

My only gripes with the HSC's are:
- The number of mule trains they use to get the supplies into the camps creates a huge
amount of dookey and rips apart the trails. I wish they could somehow remedy this
situation.
- Stock some Coke or Beer please! smiling smiley Lemonaide. Pooo-ey!
(we were passing by Merced HSC on day 6 of a trip and were so excited... and ...
and... and... lemonaide... r u serious!? pp..ppp...rotest!)

The people you meet on the loop are just so tickled pink. A huge huge number of them
have never done anything remotely close to what it.. and I really think it's great actually.
May 02, 2009 07:12PM
bill-e-g
- The number of mule trains they use to get the supplies into the camps creates a huge
amount of dookey and rips apart the trails.

We get told to stay on the muddy trails in meadows, but it's the mules that are causing the problems. Grrr...
May 02, 2009 07:10PM
My neighbors Bill and Nancy Bamberger went on one of these trips in 2007 and documented it extensively on their web site.

Yosemite High Sierra hike
May 02, 2009 07:28PM
Bob,
Thanks for sharing that! Tell your neighbor what a wonderful account.
Fabulous fabulous fabulous.
I love how they went to Washburn... and hiked up Fletcher Creek and
then had enough to go to Vogelsang Pass.
Just fabulous.
The ending brought a tear to my eye too...
smiling smiley
May 02, 2009 07:57PM
I will tell them, thanks. Yes it was the trip of a lifetime. I'm jealous that they got to go on it. Someone they knew won the lottery for the trip but they couldn't go so they let Bill and Nancy go in their place. These are 2 of the nicest and most interesting people I have ever met. I'm sure if you have any questions about it they would be glad to answer. They said the ranger that went with the group has encyclopedic knowlege of Yosemite (and quit her job in the New York fashion industry to be a Yosemite ranger). They all hated to get back to their cars and bonded so well on that trip that they still keep in touch.
May 02, 2009 08:15PM
Bob,
Thanks for the loop link. Very well done. The Metamucil reference at the end reminds me of a "geriatric trail mix" my wife and I created:
ibuprofen, colace, caffeine tablets, to be eaten like Gorp.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 02, 2009 08:47PM
That reminds me of the "Easin' Powder" they sell at every gas station and convenience store around the southeastern U.S. It's a packet that looks just like a packet of sugar, but it contains sugar, aspirin, tylenol and caffeine. I had a headache and hangover from a New Year's Eve party, and after swallowing one packet of that stuff - zing! back to normal again within a few minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2009 08:53PM by Bob Weaver.
May 02, 2009 08:50PM
Bob Weaver
That reminds me of the "Easin' Powder" they sell at every gas station and convenience store around the southeastern U.S. It's a packet that looks just like a packet of sugar, but it contains sugar, aspririn, tylenol and caffeine. I had a headache and hangover from a New Year's Eve party, and after swallowing one packet of that stuff - zing! back to normal again within a few minutes.

Normal???
May 02, 2009 08:55PM
Well maybe not "normal" but at least feeling a lot better. The powdered forms take effect faster. I used to chew Advil tablets for that reason, though it's horribly bitter. Finally the company wised up and produced the Liqui-Gels for that reason.
May 02, 2009 10:21PM
Bob Weaver
Well maybe not "normal"

And what kind of normal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_(mathematics)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login