Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Having bear for dinner?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 06, 2009 06:36PM
May 06, 2009 06:44PM
The cans don't come with gas masks, though.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 06, 2009 06:46PM
Frank Furter

No, so bee smart and don't fire it into the wind.
May 06, 2009 06:54PM
eeek
Frank Furter

Even in still air it is almost impossible not to get some of this stuff on your face or hands. I would be interested in 1st person testamonials on this subject. In my experience, I found that the spray went everywhere and produced a lot of effect on the individual with the sprayer. Perhaps spraying downwind in a stiff breeze would work well, but almost any other scenario is likely to cause some unpleasant effect on the gasser as well as the gas-ee, I suspect.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 06, 2009 07:37PM
I think the greatest beneficiaries of bear spray are the manufacturers selling this stuff. Rocks work better for black bears. I think if you used this spray on a grissley it would just piss him off. My 2 cents.

Jim
May 06, 2009 07:41PM
tomdisco
I think the greatest beneficiaries of bear spray are the manufacturers selling this stuff. Rocks work better for black bears. I think if you used this spray on a grissley it would just piss him off. My 2 cents.

Jim

You didn't see the guns vs. pepper spray thread?
Re: Bear Spray Video
May 06, 2009 07:47PM
Interesting that you say that. I have seen rangers pull out bear spray several times when I was in Yellowstone preparing to get rid of it near a crowd of people. Would that not mean it is a standard issue and been tested to be effective?
May 06, 2009 08:16PM
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

Even in still air it is almost impossible not to get some of this stuff on your face or hands. I would be interested in 1st person testamonials on this subject. In my experience, I found that the spray went everywhere and produced a lot of effect on the individual with the sprayer. Perhaps spraying downwind in a stiff breeze would work well, but almost any other scenario is likely to cause some unpleasant effect on the gasser as well as the gas-ee, I suspect.

There are inert cans available for training purposes.

http://counterassault.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24
https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12-I&Category_Code=BS
May 06, 2009 06:51PM
May 06, 2009 08:31PM
I had two of my seven cats pissed at each other, fur flying, and I used so-called "bear" spray on them.

They kept fighting. So much for that theory.
May 07, 2009 12:45PM
Vince,

So I guess it does not work on cougars either.

Jim
May 07, 2009 01:31PM
tomdisco
Vince,

So I guess it does not work on cougars either.

Jim

It might work. Or at least that's the claim from a Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks researcher who claims to have successfully deterred a mountain lion with two shots of pepper spray. I think one of the keys to bear spray working properly is that they can have a hard time keeping their eyes open when sprayed.

http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/livingwwildlife/mountainlions/lionFirstHandAccount.html
May 07, 2009 02:04PM
Vince
two of my seven cats

May 07, 2009 02:34PM
Vince trains them. They are Seeing-Eye Cats.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login