Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome visible from Central Valley?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome visible from Central Valley?
May 25, 2009 10:47PM
This topic has probably come up here before, but is the photo on this page for real?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trimmoos/3294080995/

The photographer claims to have photographed Half Dome, the Diving Board, Cloud's Rest, part of El Capitan and Sentinel Dome from Turlock, California, 67 miles away from Half Dome. If you look at the high-resolution version, the mountains have a strange mottled look that makes me think this was stitched together in Photoshop rather than one image taken from one place.
avatar Re: Half Dome visible from Central Valley?
May 25, 2009 10:52PM
PLEASE, OH PLEASE LET ME BE THE FIRST TO RESPOND TO THIS QUERY!!!!

(I will now look up the thread for you, Bob)

HERE YA GO, BOB: <http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,7686,7975#msg-7975>;

(Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any harm that may come to your person should you revive this topic)

Busy Bee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 11:05PM by Bee.
May 26, 2009 08:07PM
Bee
(Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any harm that may come to your person should you revive this topic)

What about reviving a certain other thread? Grinning Devil
May 26, 2009 09:33PM
eeek
Bee

What about reviving a certain other thread? Grinning Devil

Revised disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any harm that may WILL come to your person should you revive this topic

Busy Bee
May 25, 2009 10:56PM
You just did! AND MAN DID WE BEAT THIS DEAD DOG TO DEATH!

(although Bob, please feel free to mention how much you LOVE the Ahwanee!)
May 25, 2009 11:05PM
Speaking as one of the 6 weekers (one of the founding furters), I think we should cut Bob some slack on this one. Don't add another "o" to his name. He is now officially committed a gaffe sufficiently large to make him equal to the veterans.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 11:16PM by Frank Furter.
May 25, 2009 11:04PM
Sorry. My bad.

And by the way I do not love the Ahwahnee; if I were in charge all buildings and roads would be removed from Yosemite Valley and the original landscap restored, all transportation in the valley would be by underground subway, and all lodging and camping would be completely outside the park.
May 25, 2009 11:08PM
Bob Weaver
Sorry. My bad.

And by the way I do not love the Ahwahnee; if I were in charge all buildings and roads would be removed from Yosemite Valley and the original landscap restored, all transportation in the valley would be by underground subway, and all lodging and camping would be completely outside the park.

Goatie -- plug yer ears!!!

Busy Bee
May 25, 2009 11:17PM
Bee
Bob Weaver
Sorry. My bad.

Goatie -- plug yer ears!!!

Busy Bee

No need to plug. Bob is one of the very very few who actually gave a good answer.

Although I guess that subway is going to the Empire State Building next to Yose Falls.

L
May 26, 2009 02:25PM
I agree with removing as much of the anthropogenic mess in the park as possible, but allow absolutely no camping anywhere in the park? What a pain that would be sad smiley
May 26, 2009 04:07PM
Most of that stuff on the valley floor would go away if fires were not allowed. Start with that. With the emission standards today compared to 20 years ago cars don't cause that much of a problem.

Old Dude
May 26, 2009 05:58PM
mrcondron
Most of that stuff on the valley floor would go away if fires were not allowed. Start with that. With the emission standards today compared to 20 years ago cars don't cause that much of a problem.

I wish they'd done that long ago; the valley just isn't well-suited for campfires in any number, there's just not enough air circulation. I think it's difficult because a lot of recreational campers associate campfires with the "camping experience", and when camping with friends or family, I enjoy having an evening campfire. But the bottom line is that it's just not practical in the valley, and regardless of what we "like", it's better overall to just get rid of campfires there, or maybe have one central evening fire. Then, if having an evening fire is a big deal, people can decide just how important it is, and camp elsewhere if it's an issue.

When camping in the valley, I avoid going to the campground area as much as possible in the 5-10 PM slot, as it's just too smoky and can't possibly be healthy. In the off-season, the mornings aren't so great either.

I believe housekeeping camp has fire pits too; when in the valley last week, the smoke smell became strong when headed down Southside drive before getting to Curry. Imagine if the river campgrounds were still in use.

I doubt that cars really pollute the air that much, the main concentration seems to be in the central part where day parking is, near the village. Diesel pickups and noise pollution, that's another thing...

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
May 26, 2009 05:59PM
Sierrafan
Diesel pickups and noise pollution, that's another thing...

Diesel in general with its particulate output.
May 26, 2009 05:44PM
dqniel
I agree with removing as much of the anthropogenic mess in the park as possible, but allow absolutely no camping anywhere in the park? What a pain that would be sad smiley

dqiel,

Anthropogenic? Made me use the dictionary.

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login