Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Experts Advise Against Harassing Rattlesnakes and Sucking on Dog's Nose

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Experts Advise Against Harassing Rattlesnakes and Sucking on Dog's Nose
May 27, 2009 06:41AM
http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2009/05/21/news/wyoming/4f9fffc32853b474872575be000198ee.txt

By JOAN BARRON
Star-Tribune capital bureau
Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:05 PM MDT

CHEYENNE -- (cut)
Bobby Jenkins, 50, ......was outside with his three labs when ……he saw that Tank (one of his dogs) had two fang marks on the top of his nose, which was bleeding.

"It was 20 minutes to town and I knew he would not make it. So I grabbed his nose and started sucking the rattlesnake poison out of the top of his nose and spit it on the ground." Jenkins said.

He called 911 and asked the dispatcher to call his mother, Pat Shimic, and tell her what happened and to go to the veterinarian for anti-venom serum. Jenkins then flagged down a neighbor who gave him and Tank a ride to town. Along the way he spotted his mother's car, and she took Jenkins and the dog to the vet in Torrington. By this time Tank's head had ballooned to three times its normal size. The vet at the Goshen County veterinary clinic, Jenkins said, was surprised the dog was still alive.

After his dog received an anti-venom shot, Jenkins and his mother shopped for groceries to take back to the ranch. "My heart started beating really, really fast and I had a cold sweat," he said. He and his mother headed for the hospital emergency room. "It was awful," Pat Shimic said Thursday. "I could tell he was ready to pass out. He was turning white."

At the emergency room, a nurse told them sucking out the venom was the wrong thing to do. Jenkins received four vials of anti-venom medication. Jenkins and his mother were stunned at the cost -- $3,500 per vial. "I thought they were joking," his mother said."I thought they meant $35."

Jenkins said he is sure Tank would have died had he not sucked out the venom. "It was just instinct," he said. "I saved the dog and I saved myself." A spokesman at the hospital in Torrington said Jenkins was the second snakebite patient this season.

Jenkins said there appear to be more rattlesnakes out this year than before. "They are killing snakes right and left up here," he said. Because of the snakes, he lets the three dogs outside the house only long enough to relieve themselves.

Apparently Jenkins' case is unusual. "I have never heard of this happening to a dog owner," Dr. Tim Hackett, a veterinarian and associate professor of emergency and critical care service at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, said in an e-mail. “I have heard stories about the dangers of sucking venom into your mouth but am not aware of any published cases," he wrote. "No first aid is generally recommended. Just get to a vet/physician as soon as possible," Hackett added.

Zach Walker, a herpetologist with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, said only a handful of people die from snake bites every year. The prairie rattlesnake, he said, is not as poisonous as other types such as the cottonmouth. Moreover, a lot of snakes don't give a full dose of venom.

"They save it for use on prey," Walker said."Some people get dry bites." Harassing a large snake is really dangerous, he said.(cut)

From the Cynic: Could he have become ill from the sudden realization that he sucked on the dog's nose?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Experts Advise Against Harassing Rattlesnakes and Sucking on Dog's Nose
May 27, 2009 06:45AM
Absolutely not.

When I was a child I used to blow in my dogs nose to see his flippity flap skin poof out.

Good Times. Hmm... wonder if it works on a cat...
Be back in a minute...

Chickon Boo
avatar Re: Experts Advise Against Harassing Rattlesnakes and Sucking on Dog's Nose
May 27, 2009 06:47AM
Couldn't get it to work on either cat.

O well...
May 27, 2009 10:55AM
Dale,

As you can see, my cat is too big to try that on.

Anyway, I guess I've been misled all these years by a former neighbor on Rt. 4 that dogs had a natural immunity to snake bites and that usually they only experienced slight swelling. On two occasions he sent his dog under the rear deck to kill and remove rattlers. He said the dog was bitten on both occasions and suffered only very minor symptoms. Anybody else ever hear of this so-called natural immunity for dogs?

Jim
May 27, 2009 11:52AM
I would be more inclined to check the veracity of the original news account. Oh, and I'll have Dale repeat the cat thing next time I'm at his house or better yet I'll ask his wife if he really did it although I wouldn't put it past him.

Old Dude
May 27, 2009 12:47PM
tomdisco
Dale,

As you can see, my cat is too big to try that on.

Anyway, I guess I've been misled all these years by a former neighbor on Rt. 4 that dogs had a natural immunity to snake bites and that usually they only experienced slight swelling. On two occasions he sent his dog under the rear deck to kill and remove rattlers. He said the dog was bitten on both occasions and suffered only very minor symptoms. Anybody else ever hear of this so-called natural immunity for dogs?

Jim

I have had two dogs bit by rattlesnakes and I can assure you that they do not have immunity. After being bite once, they do become very good snake dogs and very agitated when they see or hear another. I don't know if second bites are more or less intense. Bites on the muzzle, very common and tend to result in strangulation due to swelling in the airway.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
May 28, 2009 12:28PM
YouTube has it all:

May 28, 2009 04:34PM
And you went looking for it?!

Old Dude
May 28, 2009 04:45PM
Well... I think Bee has a doggy... and I was gonna ask her to try it out...
Bit I think I might possibly know the answer to that one...
And I just couldn't remember... I thought the jowls just flippity flapped but then
my brain was thinking maybe it was the ears... but then I was thinking...
hmm.. I don't think so... that wouldn't be too good for the dog... and I know
that my doggy didn't really mind being pestered (one of my fab. traits)...
So.. yes... I went looking.
May 28, 2009 09:12PM
I kiss my puppy on the forehead all of the time (Jack Russel Terrier), but I don't think that she will tolerate sitting still long enough to blow on her nose!!

Bee Cowboy
May 30, 2009 07:40PM
mrcondron
And you went looking for it?!

That surprises you?
May 30, 2009 09:12PM
Not a lick.

Old Dude
May 28, 2009 12:33PM
Blowing into a cat's nose can be used for recessitation.

http://bigcatrescue.us/CPR.htm

But I'm not getting close to Jim's cat!

Chickon Boo
May 30, 2009 07:41PM
bill-e-g
Blowing into a cat's nose can be used for recessitation.

Or blood letting.
May 28, 2009 10:40PM
I thought this thread was supposed to be about hassling rattlesnakes while sucking on a dogs nose. How did it turn into a thread about kissing Jack Russels on the forehead?

Old Dude
May 28, 2009 10:57PM
mrcondron
I thought this thread was supposed to be about hassling rattlesnakes while sucking on a dogs nose. How did it turn into a thread about kissing Jack Russels on the forehead?

Scruffie (puppy) was sitting on my lap reading the posts when she saw the words "Bee's Puppy", so she decided to get her own two sense in on an already senseless collection of nonsensewinking smiley
May 30, 2009 08:50PM
Maybe it's just me, but I hesitate to kiss on the muzzle any animal that can lick its own rear end.

-- Carl Sagan
May 31, 2009 09:05AM
Frank Furter
Maybe it's just me, but I hesitate to kiss on the muzzle any animal that can lick its own rear end.

It's not just you, Frank. By the way, congratulations is in order. You just joined the ranks of potty humor posters. LOL

Jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login