Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

how early in spring is PCT open?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

how early in spring is PCT open?
October 02, 2006 07:17AM
Hi,

Just got back from a week b'packing from Tuolumne Meadows - Glen Aulin - Cold Canyon - a few other spots.

But I found all of upper Cold Canyon dry as the moon (!) ... and actually had to retreat midday to return to water sources (back towards just north of Glen Aulin). Of course, there wasn't a single mosquito in the entire high country, though.

Rangers weren't even sure if Virginia Canyon had water .. I didn't venture that far up.

But I wish to return in the spring; or earlier in the summer; what are the typical dates those main trails generally are hike-able, can anyone say?

I'd happily trade torrents of mosquitoes (I have netting and spray, so no prob') for higher runoff and flower displays ...

Is early July "too" early to get around?

Thanks lots

Anvanho
avatar Re: how early in spring is PCT open?
October 02, 2006 12:23PM
It really depends on how much snow falls in the winter and how early it starts melting. Early July is usually very good but there have been years when snow is still deep in the passes on the 4th.

Re: how early in spring is PCT open?
October 03, 2006 07:25AM
thanks; will watch and see.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login