Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Paiute vs. Miwok in Yosemite/Ahwanee

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Paiute vs. Miwok in Yosemite/Ahwanee
June 08, 2009 08:42PM
I'm not sure I want to get into the middle of this stuff, but it's definitely of note. What's up with the war between Paiute and Miwok? I think, in this instance, political correctness might be in order. If Yosemite historians are misrepresenting history, it's worth a look.

To me, as some white dude whose ancestors stepped all over natives (read: Modoc War, 100% disgusting, book link here), I just dunno what to do other than let them be. This is one of those not-sure-what-to-do-about-this subjects.

I will say, though, on the trail to Fern Lake/Grand Staircase out of Devils Postpile, I found a lot of obsidian schards, which basically was money back in the day, or so I've been taught. The trail is part of the volcanic part (Mono) of California to (what is now) the gold country (now Mariposa and Fresno counties).

I'm trying to put all this together. Opinions?

http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/yourict/47204402.html
avatar Re: Paiute vs. Miwok in Yosemite/Ahwanee
June 08, 2009 10:45PM
All I can tell is that the Paiutes are very keen on telling the story of Yosemite Valley as exclusively Paiute, while the Miwoks are have contended that intermarriage and mixing had rendered labels rather meaningless.

Unfortunately the history isn't going to be 100% documented to everyone's satisfaction. Perhaps the story of the Paiute history in Yosemite Valley hasn't been given enough credit, but I'm thinking the Paiute goal is to minimize the history of Miwoks in Yosemite Valley as mere interlopers.
avatar Re: Paiute vs. Miwok in Yosemite/Ahwanee
June 30, 2009 04:14AM
Actually we Paiutes are "keen" in telling the documented truth regarding the historical facts of Yosemite. We Paiutes can prove what we are saying is true, can the Park? What we Yosemite-Mono Lake Paiutes are saying can be verified with historical facts and documentation. Who is being erased from the Park? The Miwoks or Paiutes? It is the Paiutes and Paiute history and culture.

Where is the story of Chief Tenaya in the Park today? Gone. Ask yourself why?

Who are the Miwoks of the Yosemite area? Has anyone ever asked that question?

What does Yosemite mean in Miwok? Who gave us that translation?

Piute Boy in Yosemite

Chief Tenaya was the founder of the Paiute colony of Ahwanhee - Dr. Lafayette H. Bunnell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 04:26AM by Yosemite_Indian.
Re: Paiute vs. Miwok in Yosemite/Ahwanee
July 01, 2009 04:56PM
The story will never be told right because the NPS does not want the general public to know the real facts.
There are a lot of issues in Yosemite that have yet to be addressed and what information has been presented by many of us to the NPS, has been thrown aside without a second thought.
It is my impression the general public who know nothing about the historical contant of Yosemite, have been duped into thinking Miwoks where the true people of Yosemite.
If you go beyound the park information and bulletin boards you will see that many referances that point to a Paiute presence that at one time very prevalent through-out Yosemite.
While the debate continues on, there are many of us who have asked to see the Miwok history that the NPS supports however they will not provide this data nor will they acknowledge our requests. Instead, they (NPS) continue to support a non-profit group that supposingly has the direct connection to Yosemite and its Indiginous people.
What Yosemite has done for the public is provide a dog and pony show complete with Indian village, to satisfy the parks version of what Yosemite should have been like and what Indian people were like in the way-back days.
How about this ....Imagine if they would have to rewrite all the history and books that have been published up to now ...would be quite interesting for some of those PHD's.

[Edit: please don't bold entire posts]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 04:57PM by eeek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login