Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Re: camping at Tuolumne Meadows on 4th of July

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

camping at Tuolumne Meadows on 4th of July
June 11, 2009 02:07PM
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. All the sites are reserved for the 4th of July weekend in Toulumne Meadows, Im sure the other half are open for walk-ins. Anyone have any experience going there w/o an rsvp and getting one regular camping site for a tent on a 4th of July weekend? I was thinking of arriving Thursday morning to secure it for the weekend. Thanks in advance.
avatar Re: camping at Tuolumne Meadows on 4th of July
June 11, 2009 03:37PM
That's the busiest weekend of the summer. I wouldn't count on getting a site, but if you get there early enough, you might.
June 11, 2009 04:25PM
sdcamper
I was thinking of arriving Thursday morning to secure it for the weekend.

Ok, if you get there early on Thursday morning, you should be able to get a site.
June 12, 2009 04:28PM
Here's one data point for you - on Thurs. July 5 2007 I arrived at T Meadows at around 10:30 a.m., and the campground was only about two-thirds full. I was very surprised to find so many open spots, and had thought chances were good as the 4th was a Wednesday, and some folks would take the 2nd-3rd-4th off. I believe TM is the 2nd largest campground in the Nat'l Park system - 320+ spots, or thereabouts.
June 12, 2009 04:40PM
vdrummer
Here's one data point for you - on Thurs. July 5 2007 I arrived at T Meadows at around 10:30 a.m., and the campground was only about two-thirds full. I was very surprised to find so many open spots, and had thought chances were good as the 4th was a Wednesday, and some folks would take the 2nd-3rd-4th off. I believe TM is the 2nd largest campground in the Nat'l Park system - 320+ spots, or thereabouts.

I was thinking about this issue. I have for many years made an effort to go to Yellowstone on July 4th. It seems to me, as noted above, the July 4th may be unpredictible. In fact, I believe that families tend to be gone from National Parks on the 4th to accomodate those who want to view fireworks. Can't speak to the Yosemite sitch precisely, but I suspect that many families will leave around July 4th to get to areas where fireworks, sparklers, and other explosive entertainment is available.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 12, 2009 05:40PM
vdrummer

NPS claims 304 sites at TM plus 4 horse sites and 7 group sites.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmcamp.htm

Now Gros Venture Campground at Grand Teton is huge with 360 sites and 5 group sites. Colter Bay at Grand Teton has 350 sites plus 11 group sites.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm#CP_JUMP_31287

Check out Yellowstone. They've got two campgrounds (Bridge Bay and Grant) with more sites than TM - over 400 sites each. Fishing Bridge is an RV park, so it doesn't count. They've got over 325 sites.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camping-in-yellowstone.htm

And Mather Campground at the Grand Canyon has 327 sites.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Mather_Campground_Az/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70971&topTabIndex=CampingSpot
June 12, 2009 05:46PM
y_p_w
Fishing Bridge is an RV park, so it doesn't count. They've got over 325 sites.

Sounds like a parking lot.
June 12, 2009 06:45PM
eeek
y_p_w

$35/night with full hookups. The pictures I've seen look more like wide driveways between trees. Not quite a parking lot, but it doesn't look like they designed it with any clearings for tents.

June 12, 2009 07:01PM
eeek
y_p_w

Madison in Yellowstone tends to be that way. My favorite is Norris for a centrally located campground with some amenities. Otherwise the Pebble Creek or Slough Creek (if you like the skeeters) are just fine.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
June 13, 2009 11:13AM
I went on the 4th in 2005, 2006, and 2007 and the valley seemed empty the day before, the day of, and the day after. IMO, its a good time to go. I was in the park two weeks ago, and it was way more crowded than over the 4th.
June 15, 2009 11:22AM
Thank you everyone. I think we're going to go, and hopefully get a spot.
June 18, 2009 06:34PM
Get there no later than 7am. We always been able to get a spot for the last 20 years.No reservations ever. You can always
switch to a better site when one opens up.

Daave
June 18, 2009 08:02PM
Awesome, I hope I get a good spot or change it. I'm coming from the LA area, do you happen to know what time they open the south side enterance? Hopefully I can make there real early. I couldn't find that info on the nps/yosemite webpage. Thanks!
June 18, 2009 08:04PM
sdcamper
do you happen to know what time they open the south side enterance?

They don't close it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login