Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Grand Canyon dangerous, even for experienced hikers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Grand Canyon dangerous, even for experienced hikers
June 18, 2009 03:36PM
Frank Poole worked out at a gym and hiked around his Mississippi home carrying a weighted pack for months in preparation for his trip to the Grand Canyon. But it wasn't long after Poole started hiking on a popular Grand Canyon trail that he was struggling to breathe. Several hours later, he was in a northern Arizona hospital, where doctors determined the 75-year-old Poole had suffered a heart attack.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/travel/ci_12620637
avatar Re: Grand Canyon dangerous, even for experienced hikers
June 18, 2009 03:56PM
"Allan Widener of Louisville, Ky., recently took the Bright Angel trail just off the canyon's South Rim. After a park staff member strongly recommended that Widener not head down without water, the hiker quipped that, "I don't drink water, I drink Coke."

On the way back from his 1½-mile hike, leaning against the canyon wall in a shady spot, the 48-year-old said he wished he'd had something to drink. "

Why do people from the midwest keep insisting upon making us all look stupid sad smiley
June 18, 2009 03:59PM
dqniel
Why do people from the midwest keep insisting upon making us all look stupid sad smiley

Perhaps it comes from not drinking enough water?
June 18, 2009 04:05PM
eeek
dqniel

Perhaps it comes from not drinking enough water?

I saw a lot of that going on. All I did was to go down about 1/4 mile vertical elevation to Cedar Ridge on a ranger-led hike. The return trip was not guided. We were warned that we should start our return before 10 AM to avoid the mid-day heat in the canyon. I saw groups going down with only a 500 ml bottle for each hiker - well into the day when it got hotter. I had a full 3-liter reservoir along with a few extra bottles of water (esp if the reservoir leaked), and I wasn't even going all day.
June 18, 2009 04:06PM
How much of the 3L did you drink?
June 18, 2009 04:15PM
eeek
How much of the 3L did you drink?

Probably about 1.5L in about 3 hours. I wasn't taking any chances and I got thirsty quickly.

Later in the day I walked part-way along the rim to Hermits Rest. It was hot, but not as hot as the interior of the canyon gets. I was drinking up a storm too. I remember trying to fill up that Nalgene CXC bladder from a water fountain at Hermits Rest. It was flopping around everywhere. Their newest ones have a rigid handle from the filler to the output valve. Now I know how I managed to get some of the older models on closeout.

June 18, 2009 04:09PM
Maybe it's IN the water?

1 1/2 miles. Yowza... stop the presses...

I certainly wouldn't consider Kentucky part of the Midwest.
(actually I'm purdy darn sure it's not...)
June 18, 2009 04:10PM
bill-e-g
Maybe it's IN the water?

1 1/2 miles. Yowza... stop the presses...

I certainly wouldn't consider Kentucky part of the Midwest.
(actually I'm purdy darn sure it's not...)

Technically it's not, but Louisville is only a little over an hour from me so it's close enough to be embarrassing nonetheless.
June 18, 2009 04:12PM
smiling smiley

Point taken.
June 18, 2009 04:09PM
Yeah, people are insane.

I brought more water than that when I got out of my car to walk around the paved trails in the Petrified Forest :p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login