Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Postpile asks for public comment

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Postpile asks for public comment
June 26, 2009 10:51AM
It's time for the public to get involved in planning the future of Devils Postpile National Monument. In anticipation of the Monument's 100th birthday in 2011, National Park officials have begun working on a General Management Plan that will shape the future of the park. They hope to have the plan in draft form by that 100-year birthday.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1928-Mammoth-Town-Buzz-Examiner~y2009m6d17-Postpile-asks-for-public-comment-in-Mammoth
June 26, 2009 11:19AM
In the National Geographic book America's Wonderlands: The National Parks, which was published in 1959 and again in 1966, there is a photo on page 357 of a teenage boy standing on one of the columns, about halfway up the postpile. Now the monument's regulations state that "the fallen columns, the cliff face, and the tops of the columns on the cliff face are closed to all entry and recreational use including walking,hiking,scrambling and climbing on rocks." I wonder what year they closed it off and what the reason was.
avatar Re: Postpile asks for public comment
June 26, 2009 11:28AM
Bob Weaver
In the National Geographic book America's Wonderlands: The National Parks, which was published in 1959 and again in 1966, there is a photo on page 357 of a teenage boy standing on one of the columns, about halfway up the postpile. Now the monument's regulations state that "the fallen columns, the cliff face, and the tops of the columns on the cliff face are closed to all entry and recreational use including walking,hiking,scrambling and climbing on rocks." I wonder what year they closed it off and what the reason was.

There's a lot of stuff that the NPS has changed over the years. I've seen photos of people assembled on similar columns at Sheepeater Cliffs in Yellowstone. One of the odder sights was photos of people (on bicycles) on top of the travertine formations at Mammoth Hot Springs. Many national parks used to have open garbage dumps and would conduct daily bear feedings. They even set up stands for people to watch.

June 26, 2009 12:24PM
So Sequoia had a "bear pit" too. When we were at Yosemite Falls 3 weeks ago, we chatted for a long time with a couple who have been going to Yosemite since 1948. They told us about watching the firefall and about the bear pit there.

Also, we have pictures from our 1968 summer vacation, when Mesa Verde National Park was one of the places we stopped at. A few of the pictures show me and my sister walking around on the tops of the walls of the Sun Temple. All the kids were walking on it. Now I understand it's off limits.
June 26, 2009 11:44AM
If you have any interest I recommend you clicky here:

http://www.nps.gov/depo/photosmultimedia/visitor-newspaper.htm

And read the first page.
It mentions why it was removed, along with the Minarets, etc. from Yosemite Park.

Also, if you haven't seen it in person... go! Amazing...

The Little Devils Postpile in Yosemite GREATLY pales in comparison.

It really made me want to go see Devils Tower... but dang.. that is FAR away!

When we went thru the postpile it was Sept. 4th early in the morning and there
was absolutely noone else around...
June 26, 2009 11:52AM
Not sure what anyone would want to change in the Postpile NM...it's such a tiny strip of land. All I would recommend is planting seedlings in the severe burnout area around Rainbow Fall.

AND eliminate the trail put in a couple years ago along the "B" Campground. The bus people walk through people's camps without knowing the etiquette.
June 26, 2009 12:30PM
Vince
Not sure what anyone would want to change in the Postpile NM.

Then make that comment.
June 26, 2009 02:31PM
eeek
Vince

Then make that comment.

I commented last year about the trail alongside campgrounds and the trail is still there.

I regard Devils Postpile superintendant Deanna Dulen as unreceptive to anyone but herself and her personal advancement higher into the NPS bureaucracy. (Park employees have rolled their eyes when I've mentioned her name)
June 26, 2009 02:48PM
Vince
eeek
Vince

Then make that comment.

I commented last year about the trail alongside campgrounds and the trail is still there.

I regard Devils Postpile superintendant Deanna Dulen as unreceptive to anyone but herself and her personal advancement higher into the NPS bureaucracy. (Park employees have rolled their eyes when I've mentioned her name)

How does such a small unit get its own superintendent when it's that close to other larger units? At least here in the Bay Area, Muir Woods NM and Fort Point NHS are rolled into the control of the superintendent of Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

Of course I've been to John Muir NHS, which I've heard has a superintendent, a head ranger, and two seasonals.
June 26, 2009 04:07PM
Vince

Commenting means expression your opinion; commenting does not mean always getting your way.
June 26, 2009 03:01PM
I noticed something this year when filling out the check for the campground. In the past it's been fill out to "USDA National Forest Service" and now it's US Dept. of Interior National Park Service. Not sure what the difference is, was DP promoted?
June 26, 2009 04:09PM
Vince
I noticed something this year when filling out the check for the campground. In the past it's been fill out to "USDA National Forest Service" and now it's US Dept. of Interior National Park Service. Not sure what the difference is, was DP promoted?

Maybe the Forest Service was contracted by NPS to run the campground. Maybe you're just confusion the NPS campground with all the other campgrounds down there.
June 26, 2009 05:03PM
eeek
Vince

Maybe the Forest Service was contracted by NPS to run the campground. Maybe you're just confusion the NPS campground with all the other campgrounds down there.

No, I didn't confuse Reds Meadow with DPNM. If you stay in a Reds Meadow campground (which is all of the others in the canyon) you make your check to Reds Meadow.

It was my understanding that DPNM has been under Yosemite's blanket for a few years now. Started out as part of YNP, then it wasn't, now it is. Just weird you have to sign your check differently this year as opposed to last.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login