Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Shoes for Half Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Shoes for Half Dome
February 14, 2007 03:12PM
Are trail running shoes ok for this hike?
February 14, 2007 04:49PM
Maybe ok. But I'd still want some real hiking shoes.

Re: Shoes for Half Dome
February 14, 2007 09:01PM
I agree - you could wear running shoes, but this is a potentially fatiguing hike, and blisters are a real possibility, especially coming back down. I would wear really good fitting boots/shoes with excellent treads on the bottom and at least two pairs of comfortable socks.

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
February 15, 2007 08:54PM
I wore trail running shoes twice for the halfdome hike. The first time was in a pair of saucony's and the second time in some new balance's. I think the majority of hikers had boots, but there were plenty of others in running style shoes. At the end of the hike I had no blisters and my feet never really hurt at any time.

On my second trip I saw an older gentleman with NO SHOES on! We would pass him and he us along the way and I never saw him with shoes, but he did have a pair of sandals for the rocky parts.

Here's a picture of him coming down the cables.
http://www.static.atothosting.com/yosemite/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=17

February 19, 2007 08:26PM
When it's rocky (and the trail to Half Dome is very rocky) I prefer my very sturdy leather hiking boots with a firm shank in the sole. It helps filter out the rockiness. I personally think you can feel the rocks through running shoes, there's no ankle support for when your legs will get tired, etc. I think it's more fatiguing for your feet and ankles. And wear thick hiking socks with liner socks to fend off blisters no matter what shoes you wear!

But that's just my personal opinion!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login