All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Unreserved sites
July 07, 2009 11:14PM
Anyone have any idea of the chances of getting 3 nights at any of the non-reservable campsites at the beginning of August? How does the whole non reservable site securing work? Once there, can you reserve more than one night? Coming from the Bay Area, any suggestions about how to make it work?
July 07, 2009 11:31PM
dw48
Anyone have any idea of the chances of getting 3 nights at any of the non-reservable campsites at the beginning of August? How does the whole non reservable site securing work? Once there, can you reserve more than one night? Coming from the Bay Area, any suggestions about how to make it work?

All this information is available on the NPS Yosemite site:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm
July 07, 2009 11:33PM
dw48
Anyone have any idea of the chances of getting 3 nights at any of the non-reservable campsites at the beginning of August?

Very good unless you plan on showing up on a Friday evening.

How does the whole non reservable site securing work?

You show up and occupy a site.

Once there, can you reserve more than one night?

The concept of "non-reservable" applies. You can stay up to the limit (14 days outside the Valley?) if you so desire.
July 08, 2009 10:27AM
eeek

Once there, can you reserve more than one night?

The concept of "non-reservable" applies. You can stay up to the limit (14 days outside the Valley?) if you so desire.

Of course once one shows up, it's not "reserving" per se, but the technical term is "registering" for multiple nights. It's like the difference between making a reservation at a hotel for three nights vs walking up without a reservation and asking for three nights.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm

Once you get a campsite, you can register for more than one night.

I've only done this a couple of times at the Valley backpackers campground. I think the form/envelope they use for first-come, first-served camping is standard, and it did have an box for the number of days in a stay. Of course make sure you've got exact change or I think you can write a check.
Re: Unreserved sites
July 08, 2009 09:37AM
I swear this question comes up more than any other on this site! I'm not complaining though, I think it was my first question on this board.

BTW, there's no "tongue sticking out" smiley...
July 08, 2009 01:40PM
cthenn
BTW, there's no "tongue sticking out" smiley...

tongue sticking out smiley
July 08, 2009 03:39PM
Thanks everyone. The info was helpful.
July 08, 2009 05:34PM
cthenn
I swear this question comes up more than any other on this site! I'm not complaining though, I think it was my first question on this board.

eeek attempted to start a serious discussion (requesting input) awhile back regarding new format & topics for repeat questions/subjects but the responses became so off topic he gave up! I still think it has great merit. If he ever makes another try it would sure be nice if we gave him some constructive input.

Jim
July 10, 2009 11:18AM
tomdisco

eeek attempted to start a serious discussion (requesting input) awhile back regarding new format & topics for repeat questions/subjects but the responses became so off topic he gave up! I still think it has great merit. If he ever makes another try it would sure be nice if we gave him some constructive input.

Jim

I have two ideas:

1) FAQ-worthy discussions could be made "sticky". Newbies would hopefully look at these first.

2) We could break the site into multiple areas (forums). You could have a FAQs section, even a Chit Chat section.

My only concern is that I often don't have time for the Chit Chat, amusing as it is, and just want news about the Yosemite area and discussions about visiting the park. Unfortunately, the two are all mixed together, and I have to sort through it. When I have more time, I don't mind following the chatting.
July 08, 2009 03:49PM
never been to tuolumne meadows walk in camp spot in late august, should i plan to have a spot or not?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login