Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: sunrise HSC to tenaya lake

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

sunrise HSC to tenaya lake
July 08, 2009 03:30PM
I am planning a hike for my wife, non-hiker..., from Tuollumne Meadows via the JMT to Yosemite Valley, and thought of adding a day hike from Sunrise HSC to Tenaya lake. How is the terrain from Sunrise to Tenaya? I am aware of the area as far as probable switchbacks and up/down trails, but I am also a climber, where as my wife isnt. So has anyone done this trail, and could you please let me know what to prepare her for?
Thanks.
avatar Re: sunrise HSC to tenaya lake
July 08, 2009 04:07PM
Class 1.
[Unless your definition of Class 1 is skateboarding on a sidewalk, in which case Class 2.]
July 08, 2009 04:27PM
thanks dude, by map it looks to be about 5 or 6 miles from the HSC to the Lake. so, from all of the pics, we are in for a treat. Thanks again.
July 08, 2009 04:26PM
The key point is "my wife is a non-hiker".

Why do you want to take her to Tenaya Lake as a dayhike?
That doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe take her to Sunrise Lakes. but then IMO forget the JMT and just
take the Forsyth Trail back down to the JMT or go over Clouds Rest.
(although she may have already disposed of your body by then)

Are you carrying everything for her?

How many days you going? blah blah blah

(Sunrise HSC to Tenaya is about 10 miles roundtrip... and about 2K elevation change)
If she gets down to the road... you have the possibility of her bailing on you...
July 08, 2009 04:31PM
I said the non-hiker part to give you the idea that she is not an avid hiker. Guess I should have painted a more understandable picture. As far as the trip it is down the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows to the Yo Valley and the Tenaya lake part is just a side note after about a day of rest. I thought that it would be nicer than just spending an extra day at the HSC. so, that being said, are you saying that it is NOT an easy trek from the HSC to the lake and back?
July 08, 2009 04:32PM
oh, and she is carry most of her stuff, im carrying the majority of all of our gear.
July 08, 2009 04:41PM
What is your itinerary?
July 08, 2009 04:47PM
so about the trail? yes or no.
July 08, 2009 05:12PM
soupman77
so about the trail? yes or no.

You can do the hike. I, and probably many others, just don't see why you'd want to do a side hike to a lake the road goes by.
July 08, 2009 05:08PM
Prepare her for swarms of 'skeeters.
July 08, 2009 05:12PM
yeah, keep hearing about those...but even in late aug?
July 08, 2009 05:13PM
soupman77
yeah, keep hearing about those...but even in late aug?

There will probably be some in late August. But I doubt there will be huge numbers of them.
July 08, 2009 05:43PM
soupman77,

Hiking from Sunrise HSC to Tenaya Lake and back does not make much sense. If you are going to Toulumne Meadows you go right by Tenaya Lake and can get your fill of it right there. It might be productive to hike from Sunrise HSC down past the Sunrise Lakes and a little ways past that to the Tenaya Canyon overlook but that's where I would turn back to Sunrise unless , as bill-e-g recommended, you continue on to Clouds Rest and then down to the JMT.

Jim
July 08, 2009 06:12PM
tomdisco
If you are going to Toulumne Meadows you go right by Tenaya Lake and can get your fill of it right there.

Jim,
They may be taking the bus up from the valley, not driving.
July 09, 2009 08:19AM
the actual plan is to park at Yo Valley and take the bus up to Tuolumne and hike the JMT back down to the valley with a probably 2 day stop at sunrise and all points in between. from sunrise this is where the tenaya lake part comes in, it is kind of back tracking I guess. I figured that we would have a rest day then make the trip to tenaya, this is why I was wondering about the hike there.
July 09, 2009 09:47AM
soupman77
... this is why I was wondering about the hike there.

Do it.
July 09, 2009 11:37AM
soupman77
the actual plan is to park at Yo Valley and take the bus up to Tuolumne and hike the JMT back down to the valley with a probably 2 day stop at sunrise and all points in between. from sunrise this is where the tenaya lake part comes in, it is kind of back tracking I guess. I figured that we would have a rest day then make the trip to tenaya, this is why I was wondering about the hike there.

Personally, I think the best day hike would be to go to the Sunrise lakes (I think there are three) or backtrack to Cathedral Lakes. Fish the Sunrise Lakes! There are depressing switchbacks between Sunrise Lakes and Tenaya and not much to see on the switchbacks except donkey doo. You can get to the valley via many routes, but could also visit Sunrise Lakes if you choose to go to Clouds Rest (they are on the way). You "could" get to the valley from Tenaya Lake via the trail from May Lake trailhead (?Snow Creek?? Trail) if you are determined to do the switchbacks. At least that way, you would not need to retrace your steps.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 09, 2009 11:43AM
Regarding the bus option from Yosemite to Tuolumne: you understand the YARTs goes in the afternoon and the DNC hiker-tour bus goes in the mornings, these are arranged for differently?

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login