Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Admin: users deleted

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 08, 2009 07:53PM
I just spent some time deleting some of the spam-bot created users from the database. There's always a chance I might have deleted someone real. If so, go ahead and re-register.
Re: Admin: users deleted
July 09, 2009 09:33AM
I'm a real boy!
July 09, 2009 03:05PM
Stopping Spam Bots.
I run several phpbb forums with registered users in the 1000s. I have found the most effective way to stop the bot is with a question during registration that requires an answer. The character recognition question can be read by many bots. If this forum software has that addon or someone has writtten one it may be worth looking into. I bet there is a simple one out there.

Sample question for this board.
What is the name of your favorite national park? (Yosemite) You can give them the answer like that.

Anyway, thanks for keeping the board up. It's fun to check in on.

LHG
July 09, 2009 03:10PM
losthillsguy
Stopping Spam Bots.
I run several phpbb forums with registered users in the 1000s. I have found the most effective way to stop the bot is with a question during registration that requires an answer. The character recognition question can be read by many bots. If this forum software has that addon or someone has writtten one it may be worth looking into. I bet there is a simple one out there.

The spam bots aren't getting in now. The only problem now is the thousands of users they created before I updated the software.
July 09, 2009 03:43PM
Wish I coulda contacted those users. Chickon Boo's numbers woulda been much more impressive!
July 09, 2009 05:00PM
bill-e-g
Wish I coulda contacted those users. Chickon Boo's numbers woulda been much more impressive!

Looking at it from a different angle:
out of all those 1000s, only about 10 did seem to vote for the fowl bird.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login