Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Crime & Safety in Yosemite!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Crime & Safety in Yosemite!
March 14, 2007 12:11PM
Hi: Never been to the park but I sure hope to get there someday. Does anyone know if the crime rate there is very high and is it safe to travel and stay in the park. It was a terrible tragedy that occurred there at the Cedar Lodge (3 women murdered) in 1999 and also the poor victim (Joie Armstrong) who was beheaded.
avatar Re: Crime & Safety in Yosemite!
March 14, 2007 05:07PM
Jay,
I've been going to the park many times per year for about 25 years now and the only crime I've ever seen is some people speeding on highway 120 and a few dogs on the wilderness trails. I've had my car parked at trail-head parking lots for as long as two weeks and have never seen a break-in on any car at any time.
The murders were a complete anomaly.

Old Dude
March 14, 2007 05:08PM
I've been going there all my life and I've never had a problem with crime. Well, other than a few bears trying to pilfer my food winking smiley

March 14, 2007 06:57PM
Last year, I made several trips to Yosemite alone. I'm more afraid of bears than people.
March 14, 2007 10:03PM
Lisa wrote:

> Last year, I made several trips to Yosemite alone. I'm more
> afraid of bears than people.

There's no need to fear the bears. They're just big furry chickens. I've been charged by bears more times than I can remember; I just charge back at them and watch as they run away. The biggest fear I have is a bear deciding the check out the inside of my car to see if I was dumb enough to leave him some food.

March 15, 2007 06:37PM
Jay wrote:

> Hi: Never been to the park but I sure hope to get there
> someday. Does anyone know if the crime rate there is very high
> and is it safe to travel and stay in the park. It was a
> terrible tragedy that occurred there at the Cedar Lodge (3
> women murdered) in 1999 and also the poor victim (Joie
> Armstrong) who was beheaded.

I'll remember that. Last August, I saw a bear in a tree. I don't know how long it was there but the cub got a lot of attention.
March 16, 2007 08:16PM
Unfortunately, dumb humans make bears a nuisance. But I've never had a problem with them, they are timid. The black bears, that is.

I have asked rangers on several occasions if there is any thinking about repopulating the Sierra with Grizzly bears (which will not run away from humans), all I get are blank stares, either they don't know or won't admit or want to sneak it in under the radar. Not sure about the tree-hugger types.

Yosemite might be more susceptible to human problems (one reason the Firefall was discontinued; thieves were breaking into cars while people were sitting in the meadow watching the show), but I've never felt unsafe in the valley or on any of the heavy-use trails. Speeding seems to be the most unsafe activity not just in the valley but on 120, 140, 41 and Glacier Point Road. How come people spend $25k-plus on a car to get to where they're going faster? Don't they like driving?
March 22, 2007 11:14PM
I've tried to go to Yosemite 4-6 times per year every year since 1985 and I've never had a problem. I have heard that there is some theft at the popular parking spots like Glacier Point, but only if you leave expensive valuables visible in your car. If you take the normal precautions. put things in your trunk, I think it is pretty safe.

The only problem I really see - and I don't know if it is a "crime" as much as a violation - but we live in a country where pets are now treated as children. Each year I see more and more people ignore the prohibition of dogs on the unpaved hiking trails. Most trailheads have a sign that can't be missed prohibiting pets on the trails. But people more and more ignore them. When I POLITELY mention that park rules prohibit pets on the trails, I have minimally been ignored and in one case threatened. These people are NUTS and nothing you can say will change their mind. I have NEVER had one person turn around on the John Muir Trail if they had a dog with them. They know there are no park rangers around, so they just do whatever they want.

If I was the park superintendent, I would start posting LARGE signs noting a $500 NO EXCEPTION fine for anyone that violates the rule. Until people start seeing the park take action, this problem will only get worse.

Hey, I LOVE animals. I am one. But if we only obey the rules that we like, chaos pretty much is guaranteed. If a person can take a dog to Nevada Falls, why can't I saw down a few trees for a nice campfire?

I blame the Park Service. When they don't enforce the law, why would anyone care about violating it? When I mention the problem to Park Rangers, they just shrug their shoulders. I'd like to know if they ever actually enforce the law and fine a person. I'm guessing they don't.

Okay, I'll get off the soapbox.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login