Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Simple Story about Backpacking in the Yellowstone

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Simple Story about Backpacking in the Yellowstone
July 11, 2009 06:39AM
Backpacking Yellowstone: the Basics

http://www.thedailystar.com/lifestyles/local_story_192083055.html?keyword=topstory

Separating from the herd: Getting away in Yellowstone's backcountry
By Brian Kamsoke
Contributing Writer
Animal jams are a common occurrence in Yellowstone National Park. Elk, bison, coyotes, moose and bear appearing along the road (and sometimes in the road) cause traffic to stop and backup for hundreds of feet.
This is an ideal opportunity to view wildlife in their natural habitat; for many, this is the closest they will ever come (or want to come) to a black bear or bull moose.....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Simple Story about Backpacking in the Yellowstone
July 12, 2009 07:56AM
I'm still waiting for Marmot Leader's comments on this baby....
July 14, 2009 08:10AM
bill-e-g
I'm still waiting for Marmot Leader's comments on this baby....

Manzanita.
July 15, 2009 06:09PM
I was really wishing one of the Yellowstone experts out there would comment on this.

I'm not sure what came first regarding this article. It's a nice article and all...

(they did about 0.4 % of the trail in Yellowstone on this epic journey according to my calculations)

Which... I guess bodes well with what I usually tell people... that it's pretty easy to get away from people....
July 15, 2009 07:56PM
Is it strictly a day-hiker syndrome of bee-lieving the Yosemite begins and ends in the Valley? The only backpackers who have made the "its too crowded in the summer" statements to me are the ones who have not been to Yosemite. The last time I tried to tell someone about the "north country", I might as well been describing the Citadel in Jerusalem....

Bee Cowboy
July 15, 2009 07:59PM
Bee
Is it strictly a day-hiker syndrome of bee-lieving the Yosemite begins and ends in the Valley?

No, I think the RV people think that way too.

The only backpackers who have made the "its too crowded in the summer" statements to me are the ones who have not been to Yosemite.

I never found more than a few people once I was a day out. Didn't seem crowded at all.
July 15, 2009 08:50PM
They went approx. 3.5 miles to "get away from it all".

I certainly never felt "part of the herd" in Yellowstone. Sure there were crowds but there
are sooooo many "bubbly-bubbly" spots and the park is soooo big...
Much like Yosemite... if you got with the proper expectation you can deal with the crowds.

The wifie and I did hikes near Bechler Creek in the SW corner and saw maybe a total of 5 people in two days
of day hiking. Saw more cows than people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login