Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: First Experience Of Camping

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar First Experience Of Camping
July 17, 2009 08:15PM
My husband convinced me to try camping recently. I am not much into camping, but I agreed. I know I had to travel light, but that is just not something in my nature.

http://camping-zone.com/beginning-camping/first-experience-of-camping/
avatar Re: First Experience Of Camping
July 19, 2009 05:54PM
Dang you! You keep pulling me back in!

" I know I had to travel light" ...
"'My' pack weighed in at sixty three pounds.
My husband carried the rest of the things we needed so his pack weighed over eighty pounds."

To which I say:

WTF!
July 19, 2009 07:00PM
The opportunity at the end of the article to score trophy bass sounded more fun than carrying a canoe AND an 80# pack.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
July 19, 2009 07:02PM
I find these just for you! Grinning Devil
July 19, 2009 09:18PM
80+ lbs. Think Norman Clyde.
July 19, 2009 09:20PM
szalkowski
80+ lbs. Think Norman Clyde.

Crossed with Bill-e-g you get a Clydesdale?
July 19, 2009 09:58PM
The following was lifted from the NPS SEKI website:

Other than his carefully crafted newspaper and magazine accounts of climbs and the few recorded recollections of fellow mountaineers, Norman Clyde's long High Sierra tenure passed with sparse biographical record No so Clyde's backpacks. Heading for the mountain backcountry one day, Clyde, weighing 140 pounds then, weighed his pack: 75 pounds. He spent that night with a survey crew who were amazed at the size of his pack. In the morning, the crewmen as a prank badgered Clyde about the dangers of running out of food in the wilderness. First one survey crewman and then another urged "extra" cans of their food on Clyde. Never one to turn down free supplies, Clyde set out that day with a pack that had grown to 95 pounds!

"I can still remember my awe at the collection of gear Norman drew out of his duffle bag," recollects climbing companion Smoke Blanchard. "There's part of the weight right there. The duffle bag was lashed to a six-pound Yukon pack frame, which also supported a full-length Hudson Bay axe. But perhaps the kitchen bag was the most surprising.... Norman's six large kettles, the cups and spoons, the dishes and bowls, the salt shakers, condiments, servers, and graters, and for all I know, cookie cutters.... Boots? He carried several: ski boots, tricouni boots, rubber-soled boots for the rocks, camp slippers."

"It's not true," Clyde told Blanchard once, "that I carry an anvil in my pack." He did carry five cameras: two 35mms, two 120s, and a spare. And the books! Smoke Blanchard recalls "Norman's rather large library in many languages"—in his pack, not in his cabin. Clyde read Spanish, French, German, Italian, Latin, and Greek. On long trips, he treasured the Greek. He was most rusty in it: books in Greek lasted longer.
Re: First Experience Of Camping
July 19, 2009 08:50PM
I second that WTF, who the hell carries a 63 or let alone an 80 pound pack. Two years ago, i loaded up my first pack to go backpacking threw it on my shoulders and said," Oh, hell no" I knew there was no way that was going to be fun. I quickly got on the internet and began to study lightweight. I manged to drop my pack to less then 20 pounds( not counting food) and bought some lightweight gear. It was weird going out with a tarp and limited items, but looking back none of that other crap was really needed. Keep those articles coming that is just funny, it is even funny if someone would of saw them with 80 pounds of gear hiking, what a sight.
July 19, 2009 10:11PM
Now I really wanna know what the heck is in the guys 80-lb pack.
I'm guessing the wife stuck in a curling iron.
July 20, 2009 12:21AM
Speaking of pack management: Billy, are you taking anything other than your windbreaker, thermals and fleece for wear on your 9 day trip? I bought a windbreaker with hood this weekend (such a steal marked from $65 to $20) and it weighs a whole lot less than the rain jacket i have been using, so I was thinking about eliminating the rain jacket for my three day trip.
July 20, 2009 07:15AM
Get a Marmot Precip. Lightweight. Wind/Rain... good to go..

No change of clothes anymore for me regardless of duration.
If there is a river or creek nearby just throw clothes in there with a rock on top for
10 minutes. Tumble dry.

I bring this:
- Marmot Precip (wind breaker / rain jacket)
- Fleece Pants / Top (usually use as pillow)
- Light long underwear + top (sleepy in)
- 1 pair extra socks + liners (I'm 110% sold on darn tough)
- 30 degree bag
- winter cap + fingerless gloves
- fleece socks
July 20, 2009 07:25AM
"Darn Tough" are a sweet ride.
Silk works well for the base layer/light underwear

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login