Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TM camping question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TM camping question
August 04, 2009 07:22AM
I've got a 1 night reservation (that was all I could get) for at TM campsite on Sunday, Aug 23rd. But, I would like to stay until Thursday morning.
With the 50% reserved/50% first come-first served policy, what are my chances of getting another 3 nights.

When I check in on that Sunday, will they let me just stay in the same campsite?
If there is no available sites other than the first night, what are my best options?
What words of wisdom (about camping) do you folks have for me?
August 07, 2009 02:49PM
Im sure you can. I went on July 1st with no reservation and I was able to get a spot for 4 nights. Some spots open up in the morning when people leave, so that's your best shot. Im sure you can stay at your site, unless someone has it already reserved for those other days.
August 07, 2009 02:51PM
sdcamper
unless someone has it already reserved for those other days.

Does Tuolumne allow reserving a specific site? I was under the impression they did not.
August 08, 2009 01:06PM
I was just up there and they had said that lots of people were extending their stay for a couple extra days. In fact they had a sign saying it might be impossible to extend says throughtout last weekend. I saw a lady extend her site for about 5 days. I'm sure you will be able to extend later in the month a lot easier. eeek is correct, you can't reserve a specific site you get assigned one once you get there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2009 10:49AM by Javmp.
August 09, 2009 10:30AM
The best thing to do is get up early and go over to the reservation desk. Get there before the line forms. Around 7am or earlier.
Worked for us.

Dave
August 10, 2009 07:22AM
Unfortunately, we won't be up there until 9 AM that morning. We are driving up from Los Angeles; I am planning on leaving LA at 3 AM.
Unless I can talk my wife into spending the night in Bishop.
August 10, 2009 08:41AM
snorkus
Unfortunately, we won't be up there until 9 AM that morning. We are driving up from Los Angeles; I am planning on leaving LA at 3 AM.
Unless I can talk my wife into spending the night in Bishop.

Leave between 12-1 AM.
[I can say that since I live down in Orange County and routinely do it when I go up to the Tioga Road trailheads.]
(Hit her on the head with something soft and stuff her in the back seat. When she wakes up, you'll be there.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2009 12:16PM by szalkowski.
August 10, 2009 05:05PM
All,
Thanks for the replies.
So when I check in, do I just tell the kiosk person that we would like to stay several days past our reservation?
I might have to hit my wife in the head with something hard. She has a pretty hard head.
August 10, 2009 05:07PM
snorkus
do I just tell the kiosk person that we would like to stay several days past our reservation?

That's what I'd do.

I might have to hit my wife in the head with something hard. She has a pretty hard head.

They all are.
August 10, 2009 01:01PM
Last week the line was pretty long by 8 am. Probably 30 deep.
August 10, 2009 07:19PM
When I said be over at the reservation desk at 7am or earlier, I meant the day after your reservation.You should be able to renew the same spot, or just
get another spot. If you ask them the day of your reservation, they will most likely say the same thing. Meaning check with the front desk in the morning.
The line forms early.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login