Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: A "where am I?" contest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 26, 2009 04:11PM
Not really a contest, if you are the first to figure out where I was standing when I took these series of photos, I'll figure something out for you.

This is a series of three photos taken in July of 2005, vertically shot (holding camera sideways) and stitched. I didn't bother to crop the final result, maybe I'll do that later.

Warning! If you click the thumbnail below you will be downloading a large (3.3 mb, Bee) and detailed stitch of 3 photos.

avatar Re: A "where am I?" contest
August 26, 2009 04:14PM
Standing?
August 26, 2009 04:23PM
Yeah, standing, and out of breath, too.
August 26, 2009 04:39PM
Vince

Then why is there a window frame around the photo?
August 26, 2009 04:44PM
eeek
Vince

Then why is there a window frame around the photo?

It's a stitch of photos, the software compensates for the curving of the wide-angle lens on the horizon.

Or...you know the answer (snicker)
August 26, 2009 04:33PM
Here is another pan of three photos in the same vicinity but much lower altitude (and a couple hrs hike on the same trail)

August 26, 2009 04:43PM
Last one for now.

August 26, 2009 05:54PM
August 26, 2009 08:30PM
bill-e-g
You're right. It's not really much of a contest:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.dekeyser/TempJunk#5374440256216215362

Thanks, biill, it's difficult to give credit to those who have not been there
August 26, 2009 06:17PM
Mount Whitney trail. The Alabama Hills and Lone Pine are in the background of the first photo.
August 26, 2009 06:27PM
Kinda hard to miss unless you've been there.
August 26, 2009 08:51PM
L

Yeah, the Chickon Boo didn't go with me last year.
August 26, 2009 08:54PM
bill-e-g
L

Yeah, the Chickon Boo didn't go with me last year.

I didn't take any sapporo with me up there, just natural ice smiling smiley
August 27, 2009 12:34PM
I've seen that panorama before on the Whitney Board and it wasn't posted by you. OMG Vince, someone is trying to take credit for your pic!!!! They claimed they took it at one of the "windows" past Trail Crest. Now I see it was actually YOU who took the pic and they are just trying to take credit for it. OMG!!!!!
August 27, 2009 12:55PM
BobbyLee
I've seen that panorama before on the Whitney Board and it wasn't posted by you. OMG Vince, someone is trying to take credit for your pic!!!! They claimed they took it at one of the "windows" past Trail Crest. Now I see it was actually YOU who took the pic and they are just trying to take credit for it. OMG!!!!!

Take them to court, Vince.
August 28, 2009 08:07PM
The Whitney argument is silly and childish, only one or two people believe I never went up there, the rest really like the photos of my experience.

If you have the time and the ability to summit Mount Whitney, please make all efforts to do so. It's the top of the world, it's not easy but also not difficult (unless you have to hang from the cables like a monkey like I did), and the rewards on a day hike are incredible. There is no shade, and no trees, but wildlife everywhere remind you how magnificent Earth is, and you appreciate the planet and your home comforts when you get back.
August 29, 2009 09:27PM
I like them, Vince, thanks for posting these great shots :-) I hope to get up there one day...
August 30, 2009 12:33AM
bpnjensen
I like them, Vince, thanks for posting these great shots :-) I hope to get up there one day...

Please do. It's fun just to drive to the portal. You go from Nevada-type desert to Alpine forest in a matter of minutes, then you put your boots on and go for it. The mountains leap out at you. I can see why people hike that over and over, year-around. I won't, though...I won't say I'm bored with Whtiney. It's There. I think there are other things to do, however.

Here's another view of Mount Whitney I'll bet you've never seen. This is somewhere around switchback #90 back in '05.(Mount Muir on the left stands higher than Whitney from this angle)

August 30, 2009 12:37AM
P.S. if you click on the photo above (or below) and download the full picture, you can clearly see the summit hut atop Whitney. Quite an amazing goal a mere 2 hrs or so away as you slog up the switchbacks.

Vince
bpnjensen

Please do. It's fun just to drive to the portal. You go from Nevada-type desert to Alpine forest in a matter of minutes, then you put your boots on and go for it. The mountains leap out at you. I can see why people hike that over and over, year-around. I won't, though...I won't say I'm bored with Whtiney. It's There. I think there are other things to do, however.

Here's another view of Mount Whitney I'll bet you've never seen. This is somewhere around switchback #90 back in '05.(Mount Muir on the left stands higher than Whitney from this angle)

Anonymous User
August 30, 2009 11:34AM
I have been a member of the Whitney board for many years and I personally know the person who took this pic.I have also seen the above stitched panorama before, know who took it also, and it wasn't taken by the same person who took this pic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 11:38AM by Richard P.
August 30, 2009 06:21PM
Vince,
Just post a picture of yourself up on top Whitney and be done with this.
August 30, 2009 11:28PM
All the great outdoor topics to cover, and we keep coming back to this (on TWO boards, no less) Vince, you must be a glutton for.....punishment??
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.