Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Utah: Black Bears Behaving Badly Baffle Experts

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Utah: Black Bears Behaving Badly Baffle Experts
October 16, 2009 01:14PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/print/705336739/Desolation-Canyon-bear-attacks-may-be-linked-to-drought.html
Desolation Canyon bear attacks may be linked to drought
Sometimes a name says it all, like the Green River's Desolation Canyon, an 85-mile whitewater playground in southeastern Utah that's as rugged as it is remote.
.........Why have three campers been attacked along the river by marauding black bears since 2003?
Wildlife experts admit they're stumped when it comes to pinning down a reason for the attacks, the most recent being the late-August mauling of 78-year-old Lou Downard in the remote Rock Creek Ranch area in Carbon County. .........

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: Utah: Black Bears Behaving Badly Baffle Experts
October 16, 2009 02:43PM
Three attacks since 2003...an epidemic. One in 03 one in 04 and one this year. How horrible those bears are anyway, kill them all. Gimme a break. Why did you post this with a completely misleading headline? And why did the reporter write it that way as well?
October 16, 2009 03:11PM
Vince
Three attacks since 2003...an epidemic. One in 03 one in 04 and one this year. How horrible those bears are anyway, kill them all. Gimme a break. Why did you post this with a completely misleading headline? And why did the reporter write it that way as well?

Well, what attrached me to the article (recently published) was that Black Bears are generally considered no more dangerous than big raccoons, but this article seems to describe actual unprovoked attacks.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2009 03:12PM by Frank Furter.
October 16, 2009 03:35PM
Frank Furter
Vince

Well, what attrached me to the article (recently published) was that Black Bears are generally considered no more dangerous than big raccoons, but this article seems to describe actual unprovoked attacks.

OK, I buy that sort of. I doubt any black bears do anything unprovoked, however. Check my avatar. I got out of the truck after taking that picture and that bear, which is a black bear but isn't black, ran away in a hurry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login