Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bear Encounters

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 14, 2007 11:28PM
From the Yosemite NP website as of 5/14/07:

Number of incidents this year: 49

Number of incidents last year
To date: 12
Total: 400

Total property damage this year is $8,522. So far this year, incidents are up 293% compared to the same time last year, but down 76% since 1998.

Activity Update

Bear activity slowed down this week, with no incidents occurring. We have observed bears in the campgrounds, but fortunately they have been unable to find food left out.

Bears have been observed foraging naturally in the west end of Yosemite Valley. While the Tioga Road was not open yet, several reports came in from backpackers that they are seeing bear tracks in the snow.

Bears have also been observed in Hetch Hetchy and Crane Flat areas.

Let us know if you see a bear, no matter where it is or what it's doing. Call 209/372-0322 or send an email.

Note: A bear incident occurs when a bear causes a monetary loss to a person--that is, if the bear causes property damage or obtains food. Bear incidents also include cases of bears causing injury to a person (which are fairly uncommon).

More later as I pick my brain for my own Bear encounters, the first one was human stupidity the rest were more bear friendly. No food stolen from me, no one hurt, though I might have made one momma bear a little bold...
May 15, 2007 12:14AM
> More later as I pick my brain for my own Bear encounters

I've had so many I've lost count.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login