Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Lyell Canyon/Rafferty Conditions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lyell Canyon/Rafferty Conditions?
May 22, 2007 08:28AM
I am bringing a few of my student athletes up this weekend as we will be hiking out Lyell Canyon to Vogelsang and out Rafferty Saturday to Monday.

I am curious if anyone has been out that way and can tell me what conditions are like, will that be do-able (ie is there a lot of snow near Vogelsang or is it clear), any bear elevated bear activity, temps overnight, and the like?

Any advanced info would halp.

Humbly,
Chris Davis
Vista Wrestling

Do What You Can
With What You Have
Where You Are! --F.D.R.
May 22, 2007 08:35AM
You can find the Wilderness Conditions here:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/trailconditions.htm

I would suggest calling the Wilderness Center (probably the same number as the permit reservation line) to get the scoop on what the conditions are like.

Post Edited (05-22-07 10:36)
avatar Re: Lyell Canyon/Rafferty Conditions?
May 22, 2007 10:48AM
Chris,

It sounds like you are planning to go down Lyle Canyon then over to perhaps Ireland Lake, to Evelyn Lake, to Vogelsang, and then out to Tuolumne Meadows.

By this weekend there may be some patches of snow but it would be very walkable. The terrain is pretty open in that area so navigation is not a problem.

Nighttime temps can get down to freezing but the sun comes up early and if there are no clouds things will warm up quickly in the morning.

Even if there are no bears you are still required to have bear cans. I haven't seen any bears in that area the times I've been there. The area right around Vogelsang High Sierra Camp might be a different story.

Old Dude
May 22, 2007 11:46AM
Thanks this is good info. I always take bear cans, in fact I own my own, but my wrestlers will rent some. We did this hike three years ago, but the pass up to Vogelsang and Ireland was so covered in snow that we had to hike back out and go around and up Rafferty so we never made it a loop. We have our permits already to go as well.

I am definately interested in getting to Ireland Lake, as long as the weather is good I am optimistic. Not much snow is key.

Thanks for your help.

Any other info will be appreciated.

This is a great place, thanks to the admin of it for taking the time to maintain it.

Humbly,
Chris

Do What You Can
With What You Have
Where You Are! --F.D.R.
avatar Re: Lyell Canyon/Rafferty Conditions?
May 22, 2007 03:12PM
Be aware that there could be a $75 deposit for each can rented.

Old Dude
May 22, 2007 03:16PM
Mike wrote:

> Nighttime temps can get down to freezing [at Vogelsang]

Yes. Even in summer. I know this from my own experience
staying at Vogelsang High Sierra Camp.

The high sierra camps ask you to bring a canvas bed sleeve.
They are actually heavier than a good sleeping bag. So if you do
have a good quality sleeping bag, bring it instead of the sleeping
sack. I'd bring some thermals, too.

That's the coldest I've ever been, except for that ice fishing trip...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login