Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: World-renowned ice climber Guy Lacelle dies in avalanche

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar World-renowned ice climber Guy Lacelle dies in avalanche
December 11, 2009 10:19AM
Acclaimed ice climber Guy Lacelle was killed in an avalanche Thursday morning while participating in a competition in Montana.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/12/ice-climber-guy-lacelle-dies-in-avalanche.html
avatar Re: World-renowned ice climber Guy Lacelle dies in avalanche
December 11, 2009 01:07PM
Does anyone know how these competitions are run and if any changes will result in lieu of this, and, perhaps, similar accidents?
December 11, 2009 11:02PM
Seems inherently dangerous. The following article from a couple years ago has some good pictures and a discussion of the best conditions for climbing in Hyalite Canyon.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web07f/wfeature-bozeman-ice-festival-hyalite

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
December 12, 2009 02:56PM
Why are people who continually cheat death, when finally conquered by it, are held up as heroes of some kind? What's the point? You could've lived 80 years instead of 40 but you chose to die falling down or getting buried and you're suddenly dying with a passion? I'd rather see how the movie turns out, even if it's a bad one.

If you die in an avalanche, I guess you die of natural causes.
December 12, 2009 03:02PM
Vince

If you die in an avalanche, I guess you die of natural causes.

I think the death certificate would indicate an accidental death. "Natural causes" usually refers to the progression of a disease unrelated to human action or accidental injury.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
December 12, 2009 03:49PM
I would rather the word "incidental" be used in lieu of "accidental" for climbing.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login