Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Eating on the road: is your ground beef tainted, injected with ammonia, or both?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Eating on the road: is your ground beef tainted, injected with ammonia, or both?
January 02, 2010 07:31PM
Hamburgers are a staple road food - fast food restaurants abound and offer quick meals and clean bathrooms. But there is a down-side to those less expensive meals. Ammonia.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1972-Albuquerque-Travel-Examiner~y2010m1d2-Eating-on-the-road-is-your-beef-tainted-injected-with-ammonia-or-both
avatar Re: Eating on the road: is your ground beef tainted, injected with ammonia, or both?
January 03, 2010 11:21AM
Another vote for having an intact family including a mom who gets up earlier than you do to pack your lunch. As far as roadside "EAT" places, skip them too and pack your own lunch. Hopefully your mom taught you how to do that.
avatar Re: Eating on the road: is your ground beef tainted, injected with ammonia, or both?
January 03, 2010 02:09PM
Packing my lunch works so well for those week long trips.
January 03, 2010 04:03PM
eeek
Hamburgers are a staple road food - fast food restaurants abound and offer quick meals and clean bathrooms. But there is a down-side to those less expensive meals. Ammonia.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1972-Albuquerque-Travel-Examiner~y2010m1d2-Eating-on-the-road-is-your-beef-tainted-injected-with-ammonia-or-both

I guess it is upsetting to learn this, but it really isn't much different from any other inorganic molecule-- salt, sodium bicarbonate, potassium chloride. Would we be upset to learn that the drug used for lethal injection was in our food? Actually, it is. Potassium chloride is a salt substitute many people put it on their food for seasoning and is used in food processing, I believe.

The human body produces a certain amount of ammonia daily directly and indirectly (bacteria in the gut) and excretes it via a process within the liver to produce urea which gets eliminated in the urine, among other ways (some is exhaled from the lungs). There are lots of other reasons not to eat meat that are more worrisome to me than ammonia used in food processing. I'm guessing here, but a hunk of beef jerky probably has more worrisome constituents (gram wise) than the amount of residual ammonia in a burger.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 03, 2010 04:08PM
I don't think it is the ammonia that is the problem. What's annoying is the ammonia being used to allow the processors to include bad cuttings. BTW, Vince, you really should read this before you eat that sack lunch.
January 03, 2010 06:56PM
When I get off the trail I make a Bee-line to the Tuolumne Meadows greasy food shack for my well deserved cheesburger and fries that tormented my mind on the trail. I don't care what's in it. It tastes gooooooooooood!
Feed ME!
January 03, 2010 11:17PM
EGG-zactly!!! (BTW, those queing up in the BEE-line get served much faster than the other peeps)

A decision to walk away from a peak before summiting was decided by the fact that we were at risk of missing out on Cheeseburgers (the store would have been closed by the time we got back)

B
January 04, 2010 06:33AM
Bee
EGG-zactly!!! (BTW, those queing up in the BEE-line get served much faster than the other peeps)

A decision to walk away from a peak before summiting was decided by the fact that we were at risk of missing out on Cheeseburgers (the store would have been closed by the time we got back)

B

Ahh! Priorities, priorities.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login