Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Re: EPA California: Action near Santa Clara River and Ventura

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar EPA California: Action near Santa Clara River and Ventura
February 03, 2010 03:32PM
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/238FFA019F207398852576BF006D0BB1

LOS ANGELES – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has ordered Beverly Hills resident James Van Trees to remove an earthen dam he built across portions of Sespe Creek and Little Sespe Creek on his property near Fillmore, Calif. Mr. Van Trees built the dam without a federal permit, in violation of the Clean Water Act.

A major tributary of the Santa Clara River, Sespe Creek is a critical habitat for Southern California steelhead. Winding through the Los Padres National Forest, Sespe Creek flows to the Santa Clara River and into the Pacific Ocean near Ventura.

“Sespe Creek is one of the few streams which supports the endangered Southern California steelhead and other aquatic species,” said Alexis Strauss, Water Division director for EPA’s Pacific Southwest region. “We are committed to protecting the Santa Clara River watershed from unauthorized fill or damming of the stream....

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
avatar Re: EPA California: Action near Santa Clara River and Ventura
February 03, 2010 04:05PM
I wonder what reason he gave for his actions.
February 03, 2010 06:30PM
eeek
I wonder what reason he gave for his actions.

I suspect it would be some variation on the theme "It's my property and I can do what I want" .

One interesting little sidebar note, the Clean Water Act was derived from seminal legislation supported by the president least likely to be seen as a conservationist--Richard Nixon.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
February 03, 2010 06:40PM
Frank Furter
One interesting little sidebar note, the Clean Water Act was derived from seminal legislation supported by the president least likely to be seen as a conservationist--Richard Nixon.

Watt? You're a few presidents too early Frank.
February 03, 2010 07:04PM
szalkowski
Frank Furter

I'm working off the wikipedia info on the Clean Water Act that give primary credit to our beloved Richard:

The Clean Water Act is the primary federal law in the United States governing water pollution.[1] Commonly abbreviated as the CWA, the act established the goals of eliminating releases to water of high amounts of toxic substances, eliminating additional water pollution by 1985, and ensuring that surface waters would meet standards necessary for human sports and recreation by 1983.

The principal body of law currently in effect is based on the Federal Water Pollution Control Amendments of 1972, which significantly expanded and strengthened earlier legislation.[2] Major amendments were enacted in the Clean Water Act of 1977[3] and the Water Quality Act of 1987.[4]

-- Carl Sagan
February 03, 2010 07:18PM
Frank Furter
I'm working off the wikipedia info on the Clean Water Act that give primary credit to our beloved Richard:

Reagan would have never signed it.
February 03, 2010 07:51PM
Frank Furter
szalkowski
Frank Furter

I was referring to the statement "the president least likely to be seen as a conservationist."
Watt was Ronnie's first Sectretary of the Interior.
February 03, 2010 07:59PM
szalkowski
I was referring to the statement "the president least likely to be seen as a conservationist."

Ok, it makes sense when looked at that way.

That I knew. He was well hated.
February 03, 2010 08:11PM
eeek
szalkowski

Ok, it makes sense when looked at that way.

That I knew. He was well hated.

Len is technically correct about Nixon and the CWA. I think the legislation actually called the Clean Water Act was signed in 1977.

-- Carl Sagan
February 03, 2010 07:15PM
Frank Furter

Nixon also wanted single payer health care.
February 03, 2010 07:24PM
eeek
Frank Furter

I was looking for info on that when the Clean Water info popped up!

-- Carl Sagan
February 03, 2010 07:27PM
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

From Wikipedia:

In his 1974 State of the Union address, Nixon called for comprehensive health insurance. On February 6, 1974, he introduced the Comprehensive Health Insurance Act. Nixon's plan would have mandated employers to purchase health insurance for their employees, and in addition provided a federal health plan, similar to Medicaid, that any American could join by paying on a sliding scale based on income.
February 03, 2010 07:45PM
eeek
Frank Furter
eeek
Frank Furter

From Wikipedia:

In his 1974 State of the Union address, Nixon called for comprehensive health insurance. On February 6, 1974, he introduced the Comprehensive Health Insurance Act. Nixon's plan would have mandated employers to purchase health insurance for their employees, and in addition provided a federal health plan, similar to Medicaid, that any American could join by paying on a sliding scale based on income.

You should read this speech, pretty incredible. It pains me, as a former resident of the 60's, to say, but he was remarkably prescient (I don't know how much he believed personally, but he could certainly find the important issues and deal with them.)

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=3311

-- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login