Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Be Careful in the Santa Monica Mtns

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Be Careful in the Santa Monica Mtns
March 13, 2010 09:12AM
I guess this can happen anywhere but it's a reminder for us girls not to hike alone!

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-malibu-attack,0,2906693.story

MALIBU -- Authorities have released a composite sketch of a man who savagely attacked a woman who was jogging in Zuma Canyon and stole her vehicle.
avatar Re: Be Careful in the Santa Monica Mtns
March 13, 2010 09:50AM
QS,

We had a long running conversations on two boards about the potential perils of women hiking alone. When the -- dare I bring it up -- gun carry laws changed for national parks, one of the "benefits" that was pointed out was that women could protect themselves. However, this suprise attack from behind is typical of a wilderness attack, thus, firearms are rarely effective in such situations. I contend that every one of us females needs to enroll in a self defense course and keep it current. (think of it as an alternate to the gym)

B
March 13, 2010 11:09AM
I used to think that nothing could happen to me but caution comes with age. I carry pepper spray for my nightly dog walks after some unusual attempted kidnappings in my neighborhood, but the spray would be useless if ambushed from behind. I think a self defense course is a good recommendation - I have to look into that.
March 13, 2010 02:20PM
quicksilver
I used to think that nothing could happen to me but caution comes with age. I carry pepper spray for my nightly dog walks after some unusual attempted kidnappings in my neighborhood, but the spray would be useless if ambushed from behind. I think a self defense course is a good recommendation - I have to look into that.

I have actually started shopping different martial arts centers; I am tired of the whole state of things as they stand. (the concept of losing one of my favorite activities -- hiking alone -- is really start to nag at me!

B
March 13, 2010 12:12PM
Bee
QS,

We had a long running conversations on two boards about the potential perils of women hiking alone. When the -- dare I bring it up -- gun carry laws changed for national parks, one of the "benefits" that was pointed out was that women could protect themselves. However, this suprise attack from behind is typical of a wilderness attack, thus, firearms are rarely effective in such situations. I contend that every one of us females needs to enroll in a self defense course and keep it current. (think of it as an alternate to the gym)

B

On the other hand, just take Pete along instead ( read the paragraphs under "Kiwi are feisty and aggressive" ):
<http://www.savethekiwi.org.nz/about-the-bird/tall-stories.html#feisty>;
(signed)
The Beaks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 12:13PM by szalkowski.
March 13, 2010 05:40PM
March 13, 2010 08:11PM
Sounds like the guy was on PCP. The naked part is common for PCP users.

Old Dude
March 14, 2010 12:17AM
Crazy...Thats where I usually go to the beach.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login