Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

X-Rays Reveal Chemical Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar X-Rays Reveal Chemical Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs
May 11, 2010 12:28AM
ScienceDaily (May 11, 2010) — Researchers have found that a 150 million year old "dinobird" fossil, long thought to contain nothing but fossilized bone and rock, has been hiding remnants of the animal's original chemistry. Using the bright X-ray beam of the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource, located at the Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, an international team of paleontologists, geochemists and physicists has revealed this transformative glimpse into one of the most important fossils ever discovered: the Archaeopteryx, a half-dinosaur/half-bird species.

http://tinyurl.com/34cupkz
avatar Re: X-Rays Reveal Chemical Link Between Birds and Dinosaurs
May 12, 2010 05:48PM
The article failed to report the chemical bond as:
Tw-In-Ki-E

Chickon Boo

p.s.
Any of you clowns out there actually going to the park? Or u all waiting until June for Teeeoga Rd.
to open so you can hike in the snow?

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 12, 2010 10:33PM
This article stirs up my memory on something I saw and read. I am not a biologist so I will do my best to describe this in my mediocre understanding:

Do a search for Dr. Hans Larsson of McGill University up in Canada. Saw some of his work featured on KQED one night. Basically he has taken chicken embryos and injected proteins that inhibited certain genes in the DNA from turning on a given times during embryonic growth so that it created additional vertibrae to form tails on chickens! I know that Larsson has gone on to look at fins and wings on animals to better understand the evolutionary process. Here is a link to their lab: http://redpath-staff.mcgill.ca/larsson/researchpages/birdskeletalmorphology/birdskeletalmorphology.htm

The same program also showed work that did extend the same idea to grow feathers on chicken feet (in the place of scales). But the highlight was turning on the gene to grow teeth. I have looked everywhere for a picture of the teeth on the internet but to no avail. That one image was incredible and I wish I could get it to show all. Best description I can give was a chicken egg with the top cracked and open where the reseracher would add a certain thing in a liquid of protein to the egg every so often and slap it back into the incubator. Within weeks they showed a beak with tiny bumps that look like teeth. Here is the closest thing I found on the teeth: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=mutant-chicken-grows-alli

Other scientists' work like that of Dr. Sean Carroll from University of Wisconsin-Madison were also discussed. Sean Carroll was able to also manipulate genes such that insects had wings that glowed in the dark and the removal of a wing altogether on an insect.

Anyhow, I try not to let it bother me too much every time I gaze upon that lazy Chickon Boo.

-L.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 10:36PM by Catalonian Burro.
May 12, 2010 10:43PM
May 13, 2010 09:47AM
Burro Boy, can u ax dat guy if he can grow some wingies on you.

Me thinks I see Turlock in that picture.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login