Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)


Advanced

Re: 1st timer's impressions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

1st timer's impressions
August 23, 2007 11:49AM
Yosemite Impressions
I just spent about a week in the park last week, camped one night each in White Wolf, TM CG, TM Lodge, 2 in backcountry near Young Lakes) Had a remarkably great experience. I have essentially driven through the park a couple of times before, but this was my first real experience in Yosemite.

A few of my impressions, for better or worse:

* Tons of overseas folks in the park, especially Germans and French I am guessing due to weak dollar. Was great fun meeting and talking with them.

* Picking up hitchhikers who had been hiking seemed as natural as could be. It horrified folks back here at home when I told them, but there is a whole different mindset in the park.

* Definitely a different type folks exist in the valley vs. up at TM. I enjoyed the TM folks more.

* One unexpected highlight was picking up some incredibly good food at the Mobil station at the Tioga Road cut-off at Mono Lake near Lee Vining. Fresh, excellent California style cuisine surrounded by LA rich folks, climber dudes, local laborers & a few Mennonites was really a fun experience.

* Rangers were nice, although some clueless when asked basic questions, but at least they were not overzealous fascists like I had experienced at Isle Royale NP in Michigan earlier this summer.

* I am not a climber, but was impressed with the NPS attitude towards climbers, from what I observed at least, more interested in working with them rather than bossing them around.

* I was not in the least bothered by “overcrowded” trails, so I saw a few people through the day, the country was certainly big enough to share.

* Prices in the park were very reasonable considering, I found services just outside the park to be actually higher.

It was a great week, met some lovely folks, drank in some incredible scenery.

avatar Re: 1st timer's impressions
August 23, 2007 01:59PM
Porter Rockwell wrote:

> Yosemite Impressions
> I just spent about a week in the park last week, camped one
> night each in White Wolf, TM CG, TM Lodge, 2 in backcountry
> near Young Lakes) Had a remarkably great experience. I have
> essentially driven through the park a couple of times before,
> but this was my first real experience in Yosemite.

Welcome to California then....

> A few of my impressions, for better or worse:
>
> * Tons of overseas folks in the park, especially Germans and
> French I am guessing due to weak dollar. Was great fun
> meeting and talking with them.

Some people don't like it. I think meeting folks from all over the world is a valuable experience.

> * Picking up hitchhikers who had been hiking seemed as natural
> as could be. It horrified folks back here at home when I told
> them, but there is a whole different mindset in the park.

I don't know. There was an incident a few years back (look up the name "Cary Stayner"winking smiley that scared off a lot of people from picking up hitchhikers in and around Yosemite. I had an opportunity to pick someone up last Feb but decided against it. I know it would be exceedingly rare, but who wants to end up a victim.

> * Definitely a different type folks exist in the valley vs. up
> at TM. I enjoyed the TM folks more.

Why am I not surprised. ;-)

> * One unexpected highlight was picking up some incredibly good
> food at the Mobil station at the Tioga Road cut-off at Mono
> Lake near Lee Vining. Fresh, excellent California style
> cuisine surrounded by LA rich folks, climber dudes, local
> laborers & a few Mennonites was really a fun experience.
>
> * Rangers were nice, although some clueless when asked basic
> questions, but at least they were not overzealous fascists like
> I had experienced at Isle Royale NP in Michigan earlier this
> summer.

I hear many of the less experienced ones are always quoting rules and taking the fun out of innocent mistakes.

> * I am not a climber, but was impressed with the NPS attitude
> towards climbers, from what I observed at least, more
> interested in working with them rather than bossing them
> around.
>
> * I was not in the least bothered by “overcrowded” trails,
> so I saw a few people through the day, the country was
> certainly big enough to share.

All depends. If you have a great attitude and realize that crowded trails means there's something special to see, it isn't so bad. However - I don't care for the families of three who walk three-wide on a trail just wide enough to walk three-wide, and who don't think or look to notice that they just ran off a guy (like me) carrying a 35 lb pack off the trail.

> * Prices in the park were very reasonable considering, I found
> services just outside the park to be actually higher.

The NPS regulates prices of amenities. If you book lodging well in advance, you'll usually see that it's mentioned that the price quoted is estimated and "subject to NPS approval".

> It was a great week, met some lovely folks, drank in some
> incredible scenery.

Come back again soon.

avatar Re: 1st timer's impressions
August 27, 2007 09:05PM
>Porter Rockwell wrote:

just curious, are you LDS? ;-)
Re: 1st timer's impressions
August 29, 2007 08:50AM
yup... PR is my hero..
avatar Re: 1st timer's impressions
August 29, 2007 03:45PM
i'm LDS also ;-)

since yer a Porter Rockwell fan, you should know about Wild Bill Hickman then... i'm his great great (not sure how many greats) grandson.



Post Edited (08-29-07 17:46)



Like I always say, "if you can't laugh at yourself, let me do it".

My Yosemite Blog: http://yosemiteforrest.blogspot.com/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login