Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: permitted

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

permitted
January 08, 2011 08:56PM
From our blog:

Unless you want to spend more than twelve hours in a tent in the snow, these are not of the best of times for backpacking. And while we're grateful for the massive snowpack in the Sierra and all that it promises for the coming year, it does limit the kinds of trips we can take right now.

But that hasn't kept us from planning some adventures, and taking care of a little business. Yep--it's time to get a few permits and licenses. Yesterday I biked over to the local California Department of Forestry Fire station and got our campfire permit for 2011. That allows us to camp with a stove (or campfire, where they are legal) in any national forest in California. In 2009 we took a lovely fall hike along the Pacific Crest Trail from Carson Pass north to Meiss Meadows, Showers Lake, and Dardanelles Lake. And we did it without a wilderness permit, because that section of the trail isn't classified as wilderness--it's just national forest. All you need is campfire permit. Which we had.

And now we have one for 2011.

Not only that, but the fireman who helped me could not have been nicer. It was more than just service with a smile---he also offered water for the bedraggled cyclist (I declined, since it was about 40 degrees outside, and cold water was NOT what I needed) but also encouraged me to be careful out there. The weather was cold, a bit foggy, and he was concered about visiblitiy. I was wearing a high visility vest, and the bike has lights, so everything turned out fine. Except I still doesn't have much feeling in my frozen nose.

But that's not all. Today we went over to our local sporting goods store and bought a fishing license, so that I can terrorize trout all over the SIerra. The cost keeps going up (over $40) this year, and the process is more complicated. (For the first time, I had to show my California Drivers License, which was scanned, and then assure the earnest young clerk that I had, indeed, resided in California for the last six months.) But the new licernses are a different shape and color from last year, complete with a bar code. And the clerk warned me that if they are left in a very warm place, it's possible that the thermal paper will turn black, obliterating all the information on the license.

That must be a big improvement over last year's model. sigh.

But hey--we're ready for summer!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
January 08, 2011 10:11PM
balzaccom
From our blog:

Unless you want to spend more than twelve hours in a tent in the snow, these are not of the best of times for backpacking. And while we're grateful for the massive snowpack in the Sierra and all that it promises for the coming year, it does limit the kinds of trips we can take right now.

But that hasn't kept us from planning some adventures, and taking care of a little business. Yep--it's time to get a few permits and licenses. Yesterday I biked over to the local California Department of Forestry Fire station and got our campfire permit for 2011. That allows us to camp with a stove (or campfire, where they are legal) in any national forest in California. In 2009 we took a lovely fall hike along the Pacific Crest Trail from Carson Pass north to Meiss Meadows, Showers Lake, and Dardanelles Lake. And we did it without a wilderness permit, because that section of the trail isn't classified as wilderness--it's just national forest. All you need is campfire permit. Which we had.

And now we have one for 2011.

I would note that you also need one in order to use a fire outside of a designated campsite on California BLM areas too. Several Forest Service offices in California will issue them. I was at the Grant Village visitor center at Kings Canyon NP, which is staffed by a combination of NPS rangers from SEKI, Sequoia National History Association personnel, and Forest Service rangers. They had a sign saying that personnel there could issue campfire permits. The person who signed my permit was from the SNHA.

There was a quiz on the Sequoia NF page that allowed one to print up a 2010 permit. I think they haven't updated for 2011 yet.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/calcampfirepermit2010.pdf
January 09, 2011 07:40AM
Hey--thanks for the link! I'll post it on our website. I've heard about that possibility, but none of the CDF guys could point me in the right direction!
January 09, 2011 09:58AM
balzaccom
Hey--thanks for the link! I'll post it on our website. I've heard about that possibility, but none of the CDF guys could point me in the right direction!

Here's where I found it:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html

I've seen other FS websites that claim that they must be picked up in person. I was wondering if issuing them via downloads was even legal, or if maybe the individual site I saw was somehow unapproved.
January 09, 2011 11:11AM
No--I've been told by various authorities that is was possible to do the whole thing on-line...but none of them could ever give me the link!
January 09, 2011 11:22AM
balzaccom
No--I've been told by various authorities that is was possible to do the whole thing on-line...but none of them could ever give me the link!

Then maybe people interested should keep their collective eyes on the 2nd link in case it gets updated with the 2011 permit.
January 10, 2011 01:25PM
balzaccom

Only 5 1/2 months to go...
tongue sticking out smiley
January 10, 2011 01:31PM
bill-e-g
balzaccom

And several billion mosquito eggs just waiting for you!
January 10, 2011 07:54PM
eeek
bill-e-g
balzaccom

And several billion mosquito eggs just waiting for you!

yep you're right eeek...say, what in your opinion would be the mosquito 'blackout' months for the high sierra...say last week of June to the third week of August?

Thanks
James
January 11, 2011 06:59AM
Jim,

You can pretty much dismiss mosquitos as a problem by the second week of August. There's a few around but are way past the point of being so thick that they drive you out of some location.
January 12, 2011 07:37PM
tomdisco
Jim,

You can pretty much dismiss mosquitos as a problem by the second week of August. There's a few around but are way past the point of being so thick that they drive you out of some location.

Thanks Tom, I was up near sunrise mid july and it was pretty nasty! I'm hoping for some serious melt in June so I can go up third week of June...we'll see..
January 12, 2011 08:30PM
rroland
tomdisco
Jim,

Thanks Tom, I was up near sunrise mid july and it was pretty nasty! I'm hoping for some serious melt in June so I can go up third week of June...we'll see..

The mosquitos book all their conventions at the lakes and meadows.
The best place to camp when they are out partying is in a forested area with good shade, preferably near a stream for water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 08:36PM by szalkowski.
January 12, 2011 08:40PM
szalkowski
The best place to camp when they are out partying is in a forested area with good shade, preferably near a stream for water.

The best place to camp is near a human they like a whole lot. Grinning Devil
January 13, 2011 02:48PM
szalkowski
rroland
tomdisco
Jim,

The mosquitos book all their conventions at the lakes and meadows.

Thanks szalkowski...err Marmot luvin person...wish there was a stream up around Cloud's Rest...that's the one problem, you're up at 10K and there AIN'T NO AGUA!
January 10, 2011 04:46PM
Don't count your mosquitoes until the eggs have hatched, Bill!
January 10, 2011 05:03PM
balzaccom
Don't count your mosquitoes until the eggs have hatched, Bill!

But do take note of the signs:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login