Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Review Period for the Tunnel View Overlook Environmental Assessment

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Review Period for the Tunnel View Overlook Environmental Assessment
September 25, 2007 01:07PM
Yosemite National Park Announces Public Review Period for the Tunnel View Overlook Environmental Assessment
Date: September 21, 2007

The National Park Service (NPS) announces the opening of the public review and comment period for the Tunnel View Overlook Environmental Assessment (EA). The public is invited to review the document and submit written comments from Wednesday October 3, 2007, and closes Friday November 2, 2007.

The Wawona Tunnel View Overlook is a heavily used scenic viewpoint located adjacent to Wawona Road at the east portal of the Wawona Tunnel. This overlook affords expansive views of Yosemite Valley, El Capitan, Bridalveil Fall, and Half Dome that have captured the awe of visitors for 75 years. The overlook is a historic site and was constructed in 1932 during an era that heralded a boom in design and development throughout the National Park Service, and helped initiate the park service "rustic" design style. Wawona Tunnel and Tunnel View were determined to be eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 because of their exemplary park service rustic design. Very little physical change has occurred to Tunnel View's physical features (including rockwork, circulation patterns, and configuration) since it was built in 1932. The site remains one of the most popular scenic overlooks in Yosemite National Park. Tour buses, tram tours, and single-family vehicles bring an estimated 3,000-5,000 people to the site per day during the height of the visitation season. The purpose of the Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Project is to remedy long-standing vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian safety issues, to correct drainage deficiencies and problems, to provide clear circulation patterns for pedestrians and vehicles, to enhance and maintain viewing opportunities for visitors, to provide accessibility to viewing areas for visitors with disabilities, and to correct safety problems associated with the existing Inspiration Point trailhead, while maintaining the natural, rustic character and integrity of this historic site. Project alternatives and their environmental effects have been evaluated in the Environmental Assessment.

Public Review of the Environmental Assessment opens Wednesday October 3, 2007, and closes Friday November 2, 2007.

One public meeting will take place during the public review period, scheduled for 1:00 pm at the Monthly Open House in the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center Auditorium on Wednesday, October 31, 2007.

A link to the Environmental Assessment will be posted on the park's website at www.nps.gov/yose/planning.

Written comments should be postmarked no later than November 2, 2007. Comments can be submitted at the public meeting, by mail, fax, email, and through the Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) commenting system. To submit written comments:

Mail: Superintendent, Yosemite National Park
Attn: Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Project
PO Box 577
Yosemite, CA 95389

Fax: 209/379-1294

e-mail us

PEPC: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/

For more information on park planning efforts, visit the website at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planning

April 12, 2008 08:41PM
Eeek:

It is rare when I miss one of your topics, but I sure missed this one from last Fall. I was at Tunnel View today and, WOW, it's like looking at a Marine recruit before and after on haircut day.

The view is completely different from what I've remembered for the past 10-15 years. The difference between the pictures I took before the trees were cut down and today....well, it's almost like you are in two different places. It's not like they took down one tree, they cleared out a bunch of them.

I don't know how to attach pictures here, but I'm sure someone will. While it's (I guess) nice that you have an un-osbtructed view of Bridalveil Valls again, it sure looks barren now. Picture a newly sheared sheep. Sadly, many of us will be long gone before trees ever reach those heights again.

I've never considered myself a rabid "tree hugger", but today I did miss those trees. If anyone has the "before and after" pictures of Tunnel View, it's pretty radical.

Bill
avatar Re: Review Period for the Tunnel View Overlook Environmental Assessment
April 12, 2008 11:54PM
This was probably taken about 15 years ago:

April 12, 2008 11:57PM

Thu 21 Apr 2005 08:47:11 AM PDT

Wed 20 Apr 2005 05:07:44 PM PDT

April 12, 2008 09:42PM
My opinion of all this reconstruction is the same as Larry the cable guy:

"Get 'er done."

Quit talking about it.
April 12, 2008 11:58PM
Vince wrote:

> "Get 'er done."

I'm not so sure I want that after seeing what they did with Lower Yosemite Falls.

April 14, 2008 06:58AM
Hey Vince,

Basing your life philsophy on what Larry the Cable Guy would do is not something I want for Yosemite. I'm sure ole Larry would like a drive-thru McDonald's at the base of Yosemite Falls. I'd prefer to let Nature decide what stays and what goes.

But if Larry the Cable Guy is your role model, so be it.

That very same philosophy is why Hetch Hetchy Valley is under several hundred feet of water. And, bet your last dollar, there would be a dam at the west end of Yosemite Valley too if your "Get-R-Done" policy was fully in effect.

No thanks. I go to Yosemite to see what Nature creates, not what man can change.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login