Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: has anyone heard of a book or magazine article like this?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

has anyone heard of a book or magazine article like this?
September 28, 2007 09:39AM
where there are photos of certain places in Yosemite that have first been photographed by Ansel Adams, then photographed years later using the same type camera, taken in pretty much the exact same spot, at the same time of year, same time of day....? I will explain....

A few years ago, our family was on our annual Yosemite trip, we were spending the day at Lake Tenaya. Behind us there was a group of people with an old fashioned camera, they were moving around to different spots, adjusting the camera, etc., and this went on for a better part of the day. My hubby finally went over to talk to them and they explained that they were working on a project for a book. They were taking photos like I explained above I think for comparison on changes to Yosemite from then to present time. They were spending the day trying to find exact location and at a certain time they started taking pictures.

Anyway, my interest in this came about when my brother-in-law had told us last spring he came across a book in the San-Francisco library, saw this certain article or book with a photo of Lake Tenaya and there was a couple of kids/people in the photo that he thought resembled some of our family. We had forgotten about the incident until he mentioned it. He was supposed to hunt it down and bring it when we all met up in TM this year, but he never got around to it.

If anyone has heard of this, I'm really interested in finding it-thought it would be cool for the family to have.
September 28, 2007 10:07AM
I think I read about that in Backpacker or some other magazine. I don't think the pictures are necessarily Ansel Adams, but several photographers.

Yosemite in Time: Ice Ages, Tree Clocks, Ghost Rivers (Hardcover)
by Mark Klett (Author), Rebecca Solnit (Author), Byron G. Wolfe (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Yosemite-Time-Clocks-Ghost-Rivers/dp/1595340165

Post Edited (09-28-07 12:07)
September 28, 2007 11:29AM
Thank you so much! I had been searching under "Yosemite Revisited". It sounds exactly like what I had been searching for, I've already ordered it from my local book store.
October 07, 2007 07:59AM
Thanks again Letterknit. I got the book, turns out it wasn't any of our family in the Tenaya photos but close resemblance. It is a very interesting and beautiful book though so I bought it anyway. Had a big family gathering yesterday and it was quite a hit, everyone loved looking through it.
October 10, 2007 05:25AM
Yay, I'm glad it was helpful information! Too bad your family wasn't in it, now that would have been fun. Maybe I'll get a copy, too. I remember thinking it was such a great idea when I saw a few of the pictures in a magazine.
October 10, 2007 10:01AM
September 15, 2005 ·
Astronomers have pinpointed the exact moment when legendary landscape photographer Ansel Adams snapped his famous photo Autumn Moon, capturing a moonlit night in the Yosemite Valley:

Sept. 15, 1948, at about 7:03 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time.

Alex Chadwick talks with National Geographic Society photographer Chris Rainier about plans to re-create that photograph Thursday night in Yosemite National Park.

Adams was famous for recording the smallest details of his photos -- the apertures, exposure times, types of film, shutter speeds and how the negatives and prints were developed -- but was notoriously vague about when and exactly where he captured many of his most notable images.

Astronomers at Texas State University studied the stars, lighting and position and phase of the moon, then wrote a special program to determine the exact date, time and spot where the photo was taken.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4848982
=================

This just amazes me that this could be done:

"Adams kept detailed notes on the technical aspects of his photographs — exposure time, film type, lens settings — but information about the location, date, and time of his images was often incomplete or contradictory. Such is the case with Autumn Moon, taken by Adams in Yosemite National Park and featuring a waxing gibbous Moon rising over mountains of the Clark Range in the southeast. Various sources give the date of the photograph as 1944, while others list it as 1948. After consulting lunar tables, topographic maps, weather records, and astronomical software, the Texas State researchers determined that Adams created Autumn Moon on Sept. 15, 1948, at 7:03 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time. "

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/about/pressreleases/3310586.html?page=1&c=y

And the result:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/about/pressreleases/3310586.html?page=1&c=y

Post Edited (10-10-07 12:06)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login