Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: This is NOT the Diving Board

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar This is NOT the Diving Board
October 07, 2007 07:58PM
Scolded these folks.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/yosemite_28100___article.html/ghiglieri_park.html

The Diving Board is on the west and way down from the top of Half Dome. The rock outcropping hanging over the valley is called "The Visor."

End Rant.
avatar Re: This is NOT the Diving Board
October 08, 2007 03:35PM
Hmmm...
Sounds like something that should be on that iPod podcast!
smiling smiley

Also heard the Dome immediately east of Half Dome being
called Quarter Dome a bit too many times for my liking also...

Everything I know I learned from Chick-on is looking at you!
October 09, 2007 11:29AM
Quarter Domes is the official name of the domes between Half Dome and Clouds Rest.

October 09, 2007 01:45PM
October 10, 2007 07:18PM
bill-e-g correctly talking about people saying the steep approach section to get to the cables is wrongly called quarter dome by alot of newbs . . . quarter dome(s) themselves are seldom visited . i;ve also seen the visor referred to as "the devil's diving board" (huh?) . i've been to the real diving board twice so i applaud the thread .
October 09, 2007 01:50PM
October 14, 2007 03:57PM
It is interesting that Mt. Broderick is considered a mount and Half Dome is merely a dome.

Excuse me while I shade my dome with my Liberty Cap (oh wait this cap says "Western Pacific Feather River Route"winking smiley
October 14, 2007 08:16PM
Vince wrote:
> It is interesting that Mt. Broderick is considered a mount and
> Half Dome is merely a dome.

Mount Half Dome? Mount Half? Half Mount? Mount Dome/2?

> Excuse me while I shade my dome with my Liberty Cap

Liberty Cap deserves more respect too. How about Liberty Hat?
8^)

I've seen the visor called the diving board so often that unless it's someone pretty familiar with Yosemite, I assume they mean the visor anyway.

As far as the small dome which is host to Satan's staircase, I've heard it called Sub-dome and have assumed it's OK...it makes sense and it's pretty clear what is meant. Quarter Dome never made any sense to me. I think it was from the book "Shattered Air" that I picked up the sub-dome name, but have seen it elsewhere and people always seem to know what I mean. Is there another absolutely-correct(er) name?

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
October 15, 2007 04:02PM
October 16, 2007 08:53PM
(eeek) nice "giga" or whatever/however they got that view . incredible image !

October 24, 2007 05:14PM
Incredible website. Thanks for sharing eeek. I also love the timelapse of the valley, very cool.

http://xrez.com/services/timelap/xRez_timelap.html
November 02, 2007 09:47PM
an old postcard I have says:

"The overhanging rock at Glacier Point was a favorite spot for daredevil stunts in Yosemite many years ago. Visitor Antonio Gillette must have topped them all with this back flip in 1903"
"Published by Flying Spur Press, Box 278, Yosemite, California, 95389"

Looks like there was a wooden platform or something constructed on top of the rock. The platform is gone, and if you climb over the railing at the west end of the Glacier Point overlook, you can walk out to the overhang. In the middle of the night about 15 years ago, I crawled out there, hung my legs over the edge and had a breathtaking contemplation of the valley far below. I guess this will always be my own personal Yosemite "Diving Board". (Not that it should ever be used for diving!)

Post Edited (11-02-07 22:50)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 08:21AM by vdrummer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login