Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Overdue Glacier Hiker Found By Rangers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Overdue Glacier Hiker Found By Rangers
May 27, 2011 05:52PM
Glacier National Park
Overdue Hiker Found By Rangers

The park was contacted by the wife of an overdue hiker on Wednesday morning. Richard Layne, 59, was issued his backcountry permit on May 10th and according to his permit would be hiking in remote sections of Glacier's North Fork and exiting on May 20th. Layne and his wife had agreed that she was to contact the park if he was not back by May 25th. Layne's ambitious itinerary began at the Polebridge Ranger Station and headed to Bowman Lake, then ran from Bowman Lake to Brown's Pass, Hole-in-the-Wall, over Boulder Pass, past Kintla Lake and out the Inside North Fork Road to Big Prairie. Most of these areas are in still in winter condition with extreme hazards. Due to an impending change in weather expected on Thursday, rangers contracted Minute Man Aviation to fly Layne's route. From the helicopter, rangers spotted tracks in the snow going over Boulder Pass that were consistent with human travel. In the afternoon Layne was spotted near Upper Kintla Lake waving his red jacket at the helicopter. Rangers retrieved him and brought him out of the backcountry, uninjured but very tired. Layne has taken many winter snowshoeing trips in Glacier and carries a very heavy pack, up to 100 pounds. Although he has taken many winter trips, his permits are extremely ambitious, long in duration and are not recommended by the Park Service. "This is not the first time that Layne has been reported overdue," said IC Gary Moses. "We are very glad for the successful resolution of the search and that Mr. Layne was uninjured. While he nearly completed his intended trip, the number of days he was overdue, the route itself through extensive avalanche terrain, the approaching weather front, and his history prompted our immediate response upon notification from his wife."
avatar Re: Overdue Glacier Hiker Found By Rangers
May 27, 2011 07:10PM
eeek
Glacier National Park
Overdue Hiker Found By Rangers

Layne has taken many winter snowshoeing trips in Glacier and carries a very heavy pack, up to 100 pounds. Although he has taken many winter trips, his permits are extremely ambitious, long in duration and are not recommended by the Park Service.."

This guy sounds like a Norman Clyde clone.
May 28, 2011 06:41AM
Old Guy Syndrome, in which one believes he can do everything he did when he was younger, despite evidence to the contrary.

Wonder when they will stop issuing permits to him. I'd put a huge red flag on him the second time he did this.
May 28, 2011 07:49AM
Can't imagine why he was tired. Perhaps the 100-lb pack?
May 28, 2011 08:41AM
Naw, had to be the snowshoes.
May 28, 2011 09:21AM
Think he should be charged for the rescue?
May 28, 2011 09:26AM
Nope.

Think he should be talked into car camping and dayhiking tho. Or taking sherpas, llamas, a pack mule...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 09:26AM by AlmostThere.
May 28, 2011 09:41AM
AlmostThere
.... Or taking sherpas, llamas, a pack mule...

We thought that a "Glacier Hiker" was, by definition, one who moves at glacial speed.
(Icely Yours)
The Marmots
May 28, 2011 11:04AM
szalkowski
AlmostThere
.... Or taking sherpas, llamas, a pack mule...

We thought that a "Glacier Hiker" was, by definition, one who moves at glacial speed.
(Icely Yours)
The Marmots

I hiked with one of those, while carrying a bunch of his gear for him.

And I chanted, "llama, mule, pack goat, sherpa" with every step back to the trailhead.
May 31, 2011 06:43AM
The route was 45 miles of which he covered (and I'm being generous) 30 miles.
Picked up permit on 10th. Lets just say he leaves on 11th, that gives him 10 days
to cover 45 miles. Quite do-able in nearly the worst conditions. And trivial IMO
with v. good conditions.
However, in 15 days he went 30 miles. Wow! I really wonder what the snow level is at.

I'll leave it at that.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 31, 2011 08:06AM
chick-on
The route was 45 miles of which he covered (and I'm being generous) 30 miles.
Picked up permit on 10th. Lets just say he leaves on 11th, that gives him 10 days
to cover 45 miles. Quite do-able in nearly the worst conditions. And trivial IMO
with v. good conditions.
However, in 15 days he went 30 miles.

Herding 100 lbs. of chikins isn't easy.
(WeighingHeavily Yours)
The Marmots
May 31, 2011 01:22PM
Aside from the obvious effort expended by rescue folks, this whole thing is really sad. Here's a guy who wants to take on a snow hiking challenge who does not recognize his limitations. Number one, he definitely needs a responsible companion hiker to hopefully increase the likelyhood of good decision making. Number two, he needs to cut his pack weight by at least 50% and probably more. It is sad that this guy very probably could have done this hike successfully with nothing more than pack weight reduction. Carrying that much weight in the snow is like a self imposed death march. It would hurt just to watch. One would think there would be a trail of discarded items all along his 30-mile trek. Snail
May 31, 2011 01:27PM
chick-on
in 15 days he went 30 miles.

There just wasn't much left of the day by the time he got his pack on each morning.
May 31, 2011 02:24PM
eeek
chick-on
in 15 days he went 30 miles.

There just wasn't much left of the day by the time he got his pack on each morning.

Yeah, and that was with nearly 16, yes SIXTEEN, hours of daylight each day during this trip...
I just cannot fathom wtf his pack would weigh 100 pounds. Ridiculous.
Not to mention he had to get rescued once before. I have no problem giving this guy a hard time.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I presume he hadn't a care in the world... no biggie... they will rescue me. ho hum.
Pisses me off.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 31, 2011 02:57PM
chick-on
I just cannot fathom wtf his pack would weigh 100 pounds.

Beer?
May 31, 2011 05:20PM
eeek
chick-on
I just cannot fathom wtf his pack would weigh 100 pounds.

Beer?

Fourteen inch cast iron skillet, ten pounds of potatoes, five pounds onions, slab o bacon, ten pounds flour, 5 pounds sugar.... It adds up!

Old Dude
June 01, 2011 08:19AM
Sounds like these guys:

May 31, 2011 05:48PM
Did somone say bacon again? I love bacon!
May 31, 2011 05:50PM
chicagocwright
Did somone say bacon again? I love bacon!

It's all about the pork fat.

June 01, 2011 08:23AM
I've never cooked with lard but I'm always intrigued by it.

I do keep bacon fat in the fridge/freezer for sautéing vegetables and frying eggs. Best. Smell. Ever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login