Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Slow news day - up the Pacific Coast?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Slow news day - up the Pacific Coast?
February 12, 2008 01:56PM
Well - I'm looking to do a short two night backpacking trip with my wife in Yosemite this Summer. However - I owe her a nice trip in addition, so any suggestions for what to do along the way up to Seattle and back? I figure we can save a bit by camping, but I'll probably owe her a nice day spa treatment in the Wine Country (Mendicino or Napa) before we get home.

I thought people here would be knowledgeable, since I've never really spent much time in the PNW.

avatar Re: Slow news day - up the Pacific Coast?
February 15, 2008 04:07PM
TPW,
I don't know where you are starting from but going up 101 through California to the Oregon coast is a pretty neat trip. There are places to camp along the way. Once you get to Oregon you can follow 101 all the way up to Washington. The trip along the Oregon coast is pretty spectacular if you like that sort of thing. There are many places to camp right on the coast and they are not too busy even in the summer time.

Old Dude
avatar Re: Slow news day - up the Pacific Coast?
February 15, 2008 06:20PM
I would recommend the following, two of these three I've done.

1. Avenue of the Giants, just south of Eureka. A 31-mile two-lane road through the redwoods gets you off the 101 for a while. I drove this about eight years ago, its gorgeous! Be sure to stop in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park museum.

2. Oregon Caves. I remember them well even though I was there as a kid thirty something years ago. Will revisit them when I do #3

3. Mount St. Helens. Haven't been there but plan on hiking to the volcano rim sometime in late summer, after Labor Day.

My $0.02
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login