Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: backcountry camping end of march ?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

backcountry camping end of march ?
March 26, 2008 12:04PM
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of doing a two-day hike in Yosemite this coming weekend (march 29-30). Obviously there is snow in a lot of places. I have already done backcountry camping in the summer, but I also read a post from last december which suggested avoiding snow camping without prior experience.

So I was wondering, is it possible at this time to find a regular (ie without snow shoes) 2-day hike - rather strenuous is ok - with backcountry camping, which would not need specific snow experience ? I do have warm gear.

Thanks for any advice !
avatar Re: backcountry camping end of march ?
March 26, 2008 12:56PM
The view from Turtleback Dome seems to be fairly clear of snow (not that you wouldn't see some in the area).

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/yosecam/yosecam.cfm

Maybe something in the Wawona area? Hetch Hetchy might not be too bad this time of year. I hear the pedestrian tunnel is open again.
March 27, 2008 11:15AM
Hi ypw, thanks for the suggestion !

I looked up Hetch Hetchy and it seems like a good idea. According to rangers there should be snow above Rancheria falls though, so I was thinking of camping there and maybe pushing the hike a little higher with snow shoes.

Has anyone been there recently who could give me their advice on the conditions ? How tough would it be to go to Lake Vernon with snow shoes ?

Thanks in advance !!
March 27, 2008 02:35PM
Lake Vernon is eleven miles in and 2500' up. A good day even with no snow. I would recommend against it at this time of year. You'll probably get only 1 mph on the snow.
The hike into the camping area at Rancheria Creek is a good bet. It's about 7 miles with about 1500' elevation gain. (Some ups and downs) The trail has a southern exposure so there shouldn't be any snow to worry about. Ice maybe early in the day but even then things are pretty dry except where the various falls are. Camp at the Rancheria Campground and hike to the actual Rancheria Falls if you want. There isn't what I would call a good camping spot near the fall.

If you do go to Rancheria there is also a really good area just below the cascade which you will see just after coming up the slog from the Tilltill Creek footbridge. Be really careful around the water as it will be butt cold and fast. If you go in you will probably go down the chute to the lake. The granite when wet is very, very slippery. Take great care.

Post Edited (03-28-08 17:25)

Old Dude
April 01, 2008 09:37AM
Hi guys,

just a word to thank you for your good advice, the hike was great !

April 01, 2008 01:03PM
So where did you end up going? How were the conditions?

A friend and I went in toward Aspin Valley off of Evergreen Road and camped by the "Falls" (as shown on the topo map) about a mile south of the road. We got about 1/2" of snow during the night.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login