Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sonora Pass

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sonora Pass
April 02, 2008 02:49PM
Hi,

I didn't realise some of the roads were going to be closed around this time of year! I'm travelling up from Death valley and am wondering whether to take the south approach along the 99 or up the 395 and down sonora pass.

I heard Sonora pass will probably be closed at the end of April.

What are people's experiences?

Cheers,
Harvey
April 02, 2008 04:52PM
Take 395 north to Rte 88 in Mindon NV. Go west on 88 to Cal 49 and then head south on 49 to Cal 120 and then go east on 120. This will take you in the Big Oak Flat entrance of Yosemite. 88, 50 and 80 are the only east-west routes open right now. At least up in this section of the state. Going over to 99, I think, is even worse.

Old Dude
April 03, 2008 03:24PM
mrcondron wrote:

> Take 395 north to Rte 88 in Mindon NV. Go west on 88 to Cal 49
> and then head south on 49 to Cal 120 and then go east on 120.
> This will take you in the Big Oak Flat entrance of Yosemite.
> 88, 50 and 80 are the only east-west routes open right now. At
> least up in this section of the state. Going over to 99, I
> think, is even worse.
>

Why do you say this? 99 is pretty fast, and after you get through the Tehachapis and Bakersfield, Fresno and Highway 41 is pretty close...

Wilderness forever,
Bruce Jensen
April 03, 2008 08:19PM
Bruce,
You're right. Lone pine to the valley floor is about 45 miles shorter but I think the scenery on the 395, 88, 49, 120 route is a LOT better than Tehachapi, Bakersfield, 99, and Fresno. Things do get a little better after Fresno.

Harvey,
If you do get to Lone Pine try to spend an extra couple of hours there and go see the Alabama Hills.

http://www.lonepinechamber.org/siteseeing/alabama.html

Old Dude
April 02, 2008 07:18PM
Well, you certainly won't be taking Sonora yet:

Highway 108 (Sonora Pass)

SR 108
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED FROM 13 EAST OF STRAWBERRY TO 5.3 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395
/SONORA PASS/ (TUOLUMNE,MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED
TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

April 02, 2008 07:20PM
sonora pass is great when it opens , but it's still too early . i would think the 99 is a more efficient option unless you just want to sightsee the northern sierra .

April 02, 2008 07:25PM
Lucrativ wrote:

> sonora pass is great when it opens

Leavitt Falls:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2902

April 03, 2008 07:07PM
Rick,

Good shot...from the Leavitt Falls Overlook I would guess. I always stop there on my way up.
April 03, 2008 09:09PM
Tehachapi is quicker but dull, unless you have time to swing through Sequoia and Kings Canyon along Generals Highway east of Visalia. The road from south to north will eventually put you in Fresno where you take Hwy 41 north into Yosemite (great drive, wildflowers in the rolling hills west of Oakhurst will blow you away).

This time of year your furthest south drive over the Northern side of the Sierra is Hwy 88, which in itself is worth the extra miles if you don't mind the extra gas money. Take Whitney Portal Road as far west as you can get out of Lone Pine for photos of Mt. Whitney. Further north, once you go west out of Minden to catch up with the 88, the route over Carson Pass is beautiful. In the foothills you can visit Daffodil Hill and Black Chasm in Volcano and the quaint little towns along the 49 before coming in from the north. Also Mono Lake should be collecting migrating birds by now.

Have fun!
April 09, 2008 12:43PM
cheers for all your responses guys! Very helpful! You're great.

Was wondering if the drive through Seqouia was worth not going up the 395?
April 09, 2008 03:39PM
Harvey,

Something you might consider regarding the 395 route. Once you turn onto Hwy 49 at Jackson you'll be constantly dealing with 25 MPH speed limits as you go through countless small towns. Every time you get up some speed you hit another town and a 25 MPH zone. Some of the towns are quite interesting but if you've been driving all day the trip on Hwy 49 can really wear on you.

Have a great trip.
Lou

Post Edited (04-09-08 15:40)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login