Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

We hates 'em

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 07, 2008 09:01PM
May 08, 2008 07:01AM
With last year being so dry maybe the breeding pairs will be minimal this season.

Old Dude
May 08, 2008 08:39AM
I took some people up to Paradise Valley from Roads End in Kings Canyon last week and was pleasantly surprised at the dearth of little winged bloodsuckers encountered.

We didn't even bother to break out the insect repellant.

Post Edited (05-08-08 08:41)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
Re: We hates 'em
May 08, 2008 09:38AM
szalkowski wrote:

> I took some people up to Paradise Valley from Roads End in
> Kings Canyon last week and was pleasantly surprised at the
> dearth of little winged bloodsuckers encountered.

Hi szalkowski,

Do you ve any idea how much snow is there currently in the Rae Lakes loop starting from Road's End?

Thanks.

abm
May 08, 2008 11:24AM
abm:

The highest that I went was up to 7.7k on a day hike along Woods Creek from Upper Paradise toward Castle Domes Meadow, encountering occasional patches of snow in shaded areas.

From what I could see throughout the trip, my guesstimate of the snowline was somewhere around 9k. Kings/Sequoia generally gets a bit less snow than Yosemite since the winter storms sweeping down from the Gulf of Alaska tend not to get down that far south.

Since the climb to Glen Pass (12k) from Rae Lakes on the loop is up a north-facing slope, you probably are not going to "easily" make the loop until the end of June at the earliest. (Total off-the-wall guess since I've not tried the loop late spring/early summer. Anyone out there with some better/historial info.?)

Post Edited (05-08-08 13:20)

THE YOSEMITE POST
Voice of the Rocky Marmot Empire
May 08, 2008 09:22AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login