Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Creek campsites

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite Creek campsites
May 08, 2008 01:30AM
Hi,
Similar to the previous post on realistic chances of getting a site at FCFS campgrounds. We'd love to do Yosemite Creek in July (actually would like late June but I don't think it's open yet?). But we are coming from orange county with a 7 year old in tow ... and we will be first-time tent campers (and my first visit to Yosemite since I was a kid). I'm nervous about planning such a trip without reservations. Does anyone know:

1. What time (earliest) you can show up each morning to get a site?
2. How likely it is to get a spot? Previous posts seem pretty optimistic. Any tips for best day to arrive?
3. Finally, recommendations for somewhere to stay closeby the first night (motel) so we can get to the campground early the second morning. Buck Meadow Lodge looks OK ...

Thanks for any help!!
avatar Re: Yosemite Creek campsites
May 08, 2008 06:59AM
1. I'd show up by 10am at the latest. You might have to wait for someone to clear out and there may be a line of people waiting with you. Try to be first in line.

2. Everything I've heard and what little experience I've had should lead to optimism. I don't think there is a best day.

3. This motel in the link right next door to the Buck Meadow Lodge and I think it is run by the same people. The lodge has rooms and a couple of cottages. The Yosemite Lodge referred to in the link below is more of a modern motel with a pool.
I've stayed at both and have no complaints.

http://www.mytravelguide.com/hotels/profile-80932506-United_States_California_Buck_Meadows_Best_Value_Yosemite_Westgate_Lodge.html

Old Dude
May 15, 2008 04:39PM
Beginner, I'm also concerned about camping without rezzies! We want to try Bridalveil Creek, but Yosemite Creek would be outstanding too. I've been to Yosemite and I've been tent camping, but never camped in Yosemite. There is a motel just outside the west entrance on Hwy 140 called Yosemite View that we've stayed at twice before and it's totally fine. I read that 140 will be closed intermittently so check with Cal Trans.

I think we'll drive up from LA and stay over at a motel, then hit the campsite(s) as early as possible. I'm such a planner I'll be worried about getting a spot until we're driving our tent stakes into the ground!

May 22, 2008 10:03PM
Mike : Thanks for the great info!!

Tenderfoot:

Thanks for the motel tip! I'll check it out. When are you going? We are now going in late June ... so Yosemite Creek won't be open from everything I've read. That limits us to Camp 4 in the valley or Crane Flat or Tamarack Flat as far as FCFS campsites that will be open at that time. I'm reading on the Yosemite website:

"Note that very few first-come, first-served campsites are available in May and June (until additional first-come, first-served campgrounds open)."

And again, in boldface in the very next paragraph:

"In May and June, you're very unlikely to find a first-come, first-served campsite (until later in June, when additional campgrounds open)."

sad smiley I'm HOPING it's not as bad as they make-out and we'll get lucky! Guess I'll be checking for any last minute reservations that open up! If not, we'll take our gear with us and hope to snag a spot somewhere on FCFS basis, and hit the motels if we have to as a last resort.

Post Edited (05-22-08 22:31)
May 23, 2008 02:29PM
At least some of the NFS campgrounds accept reservations, as do the
private campgrounds outside the park.

On hwy 120, Dimond-O would be your best bet in the NFS. There are
also numerous private campgrounds. Search for "campgrounds Groveland CA".

NFS campgrounds reservations at http://www.recreation.gov/

Anything in the Groveland area is within an hour of Yosemite Valley,
not including the wait at the park entrance. In summer there is
often a backup there.
avatar Re: Yosemite Creek campsites
May 23, 2008 06:46PM
Bear in mind that the Dimond O is on Evergreen Road which is the road that leads to Hetch Hetchy but it is not too far off of 120.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login